What we're about
Welcome to the Weekday Trailblazers! Our goal is to combine nature's magnificence, a good workout, and the support and laughter of friends. An observer of one of our early hikes noted that our group is like a mobile party, and we feel that captures our spirit beautifully. All that's missing is you, so get out here with us!
The Blazers are led equally by a dedicated cadre of experienced hike leaders, in a true communal spirit.
The majority of our hikes fall within the area from Malibu to Simi Valley (south to north), and Will Rogers State Park to Port Hueneme (east to west), although we'll venture beyond those loose boundaries when we feel like it (we are Trailblazers, after all). We offer hikes of varying levels, as well as occasional non-hiking events.
• Our Flagship Hikes generally start at 9 AM on Tuesdays (earlier in the heat of the summer). Total distance is 7-10 miles, and you can expect some elevation gain (usually 1500' to 2000'). We would rate them as intermediate for difficulty and pace. We have a strong roster of leaders for these hikes, but ANYONE is welcome to lead. Contact Steve J or Peter with your ideas.
• Hump Day Hikes are, in a fortuitous bit of synchronicity given the title, on Wednesdays. These hikes start in the late afternoon/early evening (two hours or so before sunset), and have a similar pace to our flagship hikes.
• Mad Monday Hikes are similar to Hump Day Hikes, but ...on Mondays. Like our Wednesday hikes, they'll start in the late afternoon/early evening.
• Gentler Hikes are scheduled on Thursday mornings at 9 AM. These hikes are tailored for very strong beginners, those rehabbing injuries, or anyone wanting a little extra fun with friends. As the name implies, they're slower-paced, shorter distance (usually 5-6 miles), and lesser elevation gain than our flagship hikes. Contact Steve J with ideas for Gentler hikes.
• Geologist Thom Davis' Rock & Stroll Hikes combine his expansive knowledge of the Earth's bones and our usual workout in natural beauty. Many events will be outside our normal stomping grounds, and some will involve overnight stays. Times and ability levels vary, so be sure to read the write-ups carefully, and contact Thom with any questions.
The Blazers welcome and encourage whatever level of participation you'd like. You can be out in front leading, or in the back enjoying the ride. We value your contributions, so join our mobile party and let's have fun!
Please read the release of liability below in its entirety. By signing up for our group, you are agreeing to it for all events you participate in.
DISCLAIMER / RELEASE OF LIABILITY
The hike host is a volunteer and not responsible for the group. Safety should be a priority for everyone in the group. Please treat this meet-up as hiking with a group of friends. If you become fatigued and unable to continue the hike, it is expected you will advise the hike host of this and return to our starting point on your own. If you are able to proceed, it is expected that you will maintain line of sight with other members of the group at all times and help to promote the group’s safety and fitness goals.
Outdoor sports and other events we plan can be inherently dangerous and accidents may happen. By participating in any posted event, you are taking responsibility for your own safety and well-being. The Weekday Trailblazers Meetup Group and its organizers and hosts are not trained leaders and we do not confirm the qualifications of any of its members to lead or participate in trips. All participants take full responsibility for their own actions.
If you choose to sign up for this or any Weekday Trailblazers Meetup event, you are releasing the Weekday Trailblazers Meetup Group, its organizers, and hosts from all liability in case of possible injuries. Your personal safety depends on your own judgment and experience.
All participants must be 18 or older, or accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.