addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Bend Hiking Group Message Board › First Aid Kits

First Aid Kits

Robert S.
RobertSpeik
Bend, OR
Post #: 28
Travis, I understand your concern. But please let me set the facts straight. smile

Google "Free Basic to Advanced Mountain Climbing Instruction" and you will find www.TraditionalMountaineering.org at the top of the Google list.

I have been organizing and leading FREE hikes and climbs in the backcountry for more than 40 years. A person who guides for payment would have to pay almost $2,000 per year for Oregon State Licensing and required Insurance Coverage. Also, a person who guides for money must obtain a use Permit to Guide on public lands from the USFS or BLM and these limited Permits are almost impossible to obtain.

I do charge about $25 or $30 for a few small technical classes: "Map, Compass and GPS Together", "Technical Climbing of Steep Snow Slopes", etc., a couple of times a year and this income is offset by expenses.

I do not sell books. The $5.95 booklet "Backcountry First Aid and Extended Care" mentioned in my previous post is for sale by REI and on the NOLS website. It is a must have for folks venturing into the backcountry, in my humble opinion.

Any person who organizes or leads trips is held to standards of knowledge and care, whether the person receives compensation or not. Legal sounding forms used by major organizations such as the Mazamas, etc., set standards of knowledge and care by which negligence is judged. And any person who follows an organizer or trip leader also has responsibilities to the leader and the group. See this Group's Guidelines written by Tom.

There are several Wilderness First Aid and Wilderness First Responder course providers offering expensive instruction. One of the best is WMI of NOLS. Google them. I have organized Wilderness First Aid weekends with WMI/NOLS in Central Oregon in the past on a personal non-profit basis. Get a group together Travis, and I will get a special class put together.

If you have any more questions or comments, please phone me at 541-385-0445 (before 8 pm) smile
A former member
Post #: 45
Everyone please forgive me for taking this thread off topic as I was only trying to help provide "Free" Info and good sugestions to help you all.

How ever Bob, The facts are you want money for your services and thats fine in the right ways and places. But if you are charging money wheather $5.00 or $5,000 and promoting (pimping) your business here it is in bad taste.

Since you feel the need to be Alpha Male here lets talk straight you sure do a lot of Data Mining remember our talks and emails and then wow some of those things were on your web site! The funny thing is I did not give you all my info because I knew you were Data Mining as your skills are out dated and you needed updated info. Don't think because I am younger than you I'm dumb and unaware of what and how you are doing things.

Also since you think you know all things maybe instead of telling me to google NOLS, If you were as smart as you think you are, you would know that you have to get your Med cert from OWLS to be a instuctor at NOLS and other places like them as OWLS is the BEST!

Some people are into Traditional Mountaineering and Backpacking (heavy weight) and thats fine but I started out growing those old ways of doing things back in the mid 90's.

So please spare us of your Data Mining and Pimping of your web site as it rubs people the wrong way.

Once again I am very very sorry everone else for this sad
Robert S.
RobertSpeik
Bend, OR
Post #: 29
Travis-
Lets have a beer together.

Lets plan a light and fast backpack and summit climb together for this summer!
--Bob
A former member
Post #: 46
Bob, That sounds fun wink