How do we live spiritually? Why is a spiritual way of life is important for our well-being? These are two of the many questions we will be discussing at our Spiritual Roundtable this Sunday.
To live spiritually is to live with a sense of transcendence, connectiveness, sacredness, mission, and meaning. Thus, a spiritual life is always oriented towards something or someone beyond and greater than oneself. Only in living spiritually can we find the motivation and courage to transcend our limitations and become our best in serving others. Only in living spiritually can we live fully and optimally.
Here are the reasons why:
1. A sense of transcendence allows us to see more possibilities and opportunities by rising above the constraints of the self and circumstances, by reaching out to a realm of reality that is invisible.
2. A sense of connectiveness and unity allows us to rise above the artificial barriers that divide us and enables us to see each other as belonging to the same big orchestra of life, and the undying oneness of all living things.
3. A sense of sacredness makes us aware of the value, meaning, and ultimate concerns inherent in life and each day, which are capable of evoking a deeply felt feeling of awe and reverence.
4. A sense of mission empowers us to make our best contributions better this world and enhance the well-being of others; it enables us to die without any regrets because of the legacy we will leave behind.
5. A sense of meaning makes suffering, absurdity, chaos, and uncertainty more bearable and transforms negative emotions into positive motivation.
Thus, a spiritual life is richer, deeper, and more meaningful than a life that is only lived at the egotistic and materialistic level.