WHAT: Toronto Citywide Scavenger Hunt organized by ExplorTO.ca (http://explorto.ca/).
WHEN: 11:00 a.m. August 23rd, 2014 (the scavenger hunt starts at 12 p.m.)
WHERE: Richtree Restaurant in Eaton Centre
Please note: This scavenger hunt makes extensive use of the TTC. If you do not already own a weekly or monthly TTC pass, you WILL need to purchase a day pass when you arrive at the first TTC ticket window.
COST: Members of TorontoBabel are being given a special promotional rate of $19 per person. The regular cost of participating in this race is $35 per person, at the door.
To bypass the registration lines on the day of the race, you can sign up in advance and pay through the ExplorTO.ca website. Click here (http://www.explorto.ca/#registration) to get the tickets. Please use promotional code "torontobabel" to get the discounted price. That way you just show up, collect your adventure hunt kit and you're ready to race.
You can also pay $19 on the day of the race. Simply RSVP for this event here on the Meetup site and report to the Meetup registration desk on race day and let them know you are from TorontoBabel to get the discounted rate.
Want to try something new and enjoy the warm weather while it lasts? Whether you are new to Toronto or grew up in the city, ExplorTO scavenger hunt will definitely be a fun new way to practice languages, make new friends and discover parts of Toronto you didn’t even know about.
ExploreTO.ca is a Citywide Race & Scavenger Hunt in support of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Toronto (http://www.bbbst.com/en/Home/events/participateinanevent/explorto.aspx). This event is organized by Toronto Special Events Network (http://www.meetup.com/TorontoSpecialEventsNetwork/), in collaboration with Toronto Social Group (http://www.meetup.com/TorontoSocialGroup/). The hunt will begin at Richtree Natural Markets Restaurant inside the Toronto Eaton Centre on August 23rd at 12 pm and will last until 5 pm. Please see TorontoBabel waiver here. (http://www.meetup.com/TorontoBabel/pages/Waiver_for_TorontoBabel_events/)
• When the Race Marshall says "Go!" your team races out of the mall and follows clues that lead you in certain directions and to certain locations.
• At these places you collect information and things.
• You get points for collecting different pieces of information and things.
• You must try to finish the course before time runs out.
• You lose points for being late and you must try to collect as much information and as many things as you can.
• And follow the direction clues carefully. If you get lost and have to call the Race Marshall for help, you lose points!
• You have to work as a team. Share responsibilities, keep your eyes open, solve the clues, collect all sorts of objects and make it back safely.
• The teams that have the three highest scores win prizes and bragging rights. The team that comes last also wins prizes.... they're just a different kind of prize! LOL
• Teams consist of 4 contestants. Teams can have less than 4 people but cannot have more than 4. If you do not have a pre-formed team, we will assign you to a team when you arrive and register.
• If you wish to bring friends or relatives and form your own team, please feel welcome to do so. Simply RSVP with the appropriate number of guests that you are bringing.
• The race starts at the Richtree Natural Markets Restaurant on the lower level of the Eaton Centre at the Queen St. end. You will see the registration desk when you arrive.
• It will take approximately 3 to 5 hours to complete the circuit. You should be physically able to walk up and down stairs unassisted since you will be using the TTC subway, streetcars and buses quite a lot. There is also city walking involved.
• The race will end back at Richtree.