addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Toronto Bike Meetup Message Board › Need a used Bike

Need a used Bike

Roy
user 51443372
Toronto, ON
Post #: 1
Bike stolen last weekend. Can anyone recommend a place to get a used hybrid bike? My budget's around 300.

Roy
A.J. P.
Computer-Geek
North York, ON
Hi Roy. that sucks!
I know Silent Sports in Thornhill has bike swaps each season Silent Sports Bike Swap
Unfortunately they're done for this season.
Two other possibilities are police auctions for recovered stolen bikes or Craigs List.
Good luck finding another bike.
A former member
Post #: 132
I haven't been there yet but I met some guys who run a new used bike store (ha ha, you know what I mean..they just recently started running it) in the junction. Apparently it's on Dundas, north side, just a few stores west of Keele, but bcs they have so many bikes, they told me to come up the alley across from the old Cdn Tire entrance. When I met them, they had two pick-up trucks worth of bikes loaded in the back and they were evidently dropping into houses and picking up bikes from people, so they seemed legit (unlike Igor, ha ha).

They had all sorts - kids', adults,' mountain, road, etc. Don't know their prices or selection now. I met them 2-3 months ago.

Good luck!
Andy Z.
user 8723216
Toronto, ON
Post #: 7
You could try Bike Pirates https://plus.google.c...­ or Bikesauce https://plus.google.c...­ or Bike Fix http://www.yelp.ca/bi...­.

They all sell reconditioned used bikes and have DIY repair facilities. I bought a commuter bike from Bikesauce that I've been happy with. Selection may vary however $300 ought to be to very top end of what these places carry.

I'd avoid anything that resembles the proverbial back of a truck sales pitch as it is almost certainly stolen.

Hope that helps.
christine
SubwayRider
Toronto, ON
Post #: 38
Me too - my street bike was stolen on the weekend of Aug.25/26. They cut my cable lock in half - didn't bother with the locking mechanism. And the bike was locked to a lamppost directly in front of the condo security office. I am so mad!
Donald S.
dfs_toronto
Group Organizer
Toronto, ON
Post #: 50
Cable locks don't do the trick, I lost a bike with one too. Solid u-locks are more trouble but they are a greater deterrence.

A former member
Post #: 133
Bike pirates! Good one. Andy, yes, I hear you about pickup trucks usually, but since the guys were visiting what looked like a normal family house in the middle of the day, I assumed they were heading in to pick up a bike that they'd already contacted the person about, so it looked more legit to me. Could be wrong though.

As for not getting a bike stolen, I'm lucky. But I have an old "tank" - it weighs a ton, bright purple. I'd love to get a brand new pretty urban Opus or something, but I know it will just disappear on me. So I'm going to try to find an old clunker again...
Roy
user 51443372
Toronto, ON
Post #: 2
Thanks everyone for tips so far. I'm making my way through those used stores and Kijiji, but no crossover for my size as of yet. Carina, do you have the number / name of that store at the Junction?
A former member
Vintage bikes on Geary and Dovercourt has used bikes. I've been to Bike Pirates but they only had a handful of bikes. If you have a car, there's a wharehouse in Guelph that's packed to the rafters with inexpensive new and used bikes - tons of selection. Of course, at this time of year you can get a new Norco on sale for ~$300. Try Bike on Wheels. I also saw a nice looking bike on sale in the window of a shop on Dundas, at Augusta or Kensington (can't remember, and I don't know the name). Make sure you have a kryptonite U lock or you'll be looking for a used bike again in a few months.
A former member
Post #: 134
Thanks everyone for tips so far. I'm making my way through those used stores and Kijiji, but no crossover for my size as of yet. Carina, do you have the number / name of that store at the Junction?

Sorry, Roy, no. I haven't had the time yet to head out there to check it out. :-( Good luck!