What we're about
The Atlanta Trail Running group is for runners throughout the Metro Atlanta area who like to run trails.
Come Trail run with us! We run on the dirt and in the trees. Why? Trail running is...FUN, less impact on the body than running on pavement, utilizes more muscles groups so you get stronger, balance and agility improves, mentally stimulating, a great way to connect with nature, and you're having so much fun you want to keep running! Running is also a lot easier to run when running with others!
Metro Atlanta and North Georgia is a Trail Runner's heaven with some great trails! Metro Atlanta has 50+ trails! Trail Running is different from road running. Running on dirt is much kinder on the joints.
Why join this group?
If you have not run trails before, come join us for a trail run to get introduced to how running on trails has a little different style than running on pavement. Meet runners who share similar running goals and schedules, whether the goal is to improve fitness, race a 10k or ultra distance event; this group has a diverse group of members.
Being in a group provides some margin of safety when running on trails, ... and especially if the trails are remote or unfamiliar. Trail running buddies can also be motivational. We can also learn new trails from others.
So if you are tired of running the same old roads, dodging traffic, and smelling the fumes of cars and trucks, come on and lets trail run.
This group is for those of us who enjoy running within nature. Trail runners are much different than those road runners who seem to enjoy pounding the pavement more than a hike through the woods. For some runners, this group is a social group and is about getting a good low impact workout by running through beautiful scenery. For other runners, this group is about training for races.
If you want to run different trails, we have 50+ running trails in Metro Atlanta (http://www.meetup.com/Trail-Running-Atlanta/messages/boards/thread/7986968) listed in the message Board to pick from to enjoy a diversity of nature scenery.
Looking for trail running buddies to run with near where you live or work? Join Us, and post your info in "Trail Running Partner Wanted!" (http://www.meetup.com/Trail-Running-Atlanta/messages/boards/forum/5181092)
If you would like to become an event organizer and host your own group trail runs please visit the Guidelines for Event Organizer (http://www.meetup.com/Trail-Running-Atlanta/pages/Guidelines_for_Event_Organizers/) page.
Who should join this group?
We are safety conscious and do not leave anyone behind in the middle of the woods. So, to make if fun for all runners, if you can comfortably run 4+ miles on roads then you are ready to take on the local trails with us. There are fast runners and slow runners. We runs like an inchworm with the fast runners periodically stopping to wait for (or run back to) the slow runners. Our trail runs are usually 5 miles to 11 long, and occasional up to 15 miles. Our running paces are generally from 9 to 13 minutes per mile on trails without too much elevation change... of course, the more elevation change, the slower the pace.
Top 10 Reasons to Trail Run instead of running on pavement:
10) Sticks, boulders, and streams: With the unpredictable surface, trail running is like doing a natural obstacle course — you can't just run in a straight line. Varying your steps prevents overuse injury and tones your lower body (core muscles and legs) more effectively, and because you have to stay more alert, it also prevents boredom
9) Soft Earth: Softer surfaces like dirt will shield your feet, shins, knees, & back from hard impact... therefore eliminating/reducing chronic injuries, aches, and pains.
8) Hills: Woodsy trails are often naturally hilly, and although you may loathe inclines, you'll love the way they make you work harder and end up toning your legs, and core, as well as your arms.
7) Shady Trees: Under the leaves, a shady run that can be 10 or more degrees cooler than the open road....especially in hot summer months of HotAtlanta. Without your energy feeling zapped from the oppressive heat, you'll be able to cover a longer distance and run more intensely while also preventing heat exhaustion
6) Offers protection from the wind-chill in cold months.
5) Fresh Air: When you're huffing and puffing during a run, the last thing you want to do is inhale car fumes. There's less pollution in the woods — all you have to breathe is the fresh oxygen given off by the trees and plants. There's also no noise pollution or the danger of getting hit by a car, so you'll feel less stressed while running in nature.
4) Develops Zen-like focus on the ground before you in order not to trip on rock outcroppings and tree roots.
3) No two steps are quite alike.
2) You get to run right through the middle of Beautiful Scenery.
1) You often get to see deer.
If you have never run the trails before, check out a instructional video and read some more benefits of trail running (http://www.meetup.com/Trail-Running-Atlanta/about/):
Chip into this meetup!
If you have enjoyed our events, please consider chipping in. Atlanta Trail Running Meetup costs $144 per year for the website. We'll spend your contributions to fund trail maintenance in the Atlanta Metro area. Please see the link on the left under "This Meetup is community funded - Chip in"
We enjoy diversity in our trails, and running cohorts. We like outdoor adventure, and sometimes combine trail running with canoeing / kayaking or mountain biking.