What we're about
Marco Polo Project is a cross-cultural education design agency based in Melbourne, that has been operating in Tokyo too since 2018 through the Translation Club Japan, and from 2020 through other educational events.
We run interactive translation workshops for learners of Japanese and English in which participants collaborate to complete a translation.
This workshop is great for Japanese and English learners who want to develop their knowledge of language and explore cultural differences in a multicultural and safe environment.
How we go about it?
Each session is facilitated and includes group translation and reflection on the translation process and specific vocabulary and sentences which were insightful. We form multilingual teams of 3 to 5 people, mixing ad much as possible native speakers of English, and of Japanese. The teams then co-translate the text. The texts are recent articles about contemporary cultural and social issues.
Why should you come to our events?
1. The events WILL challenge your language skills in terms of both Vocabulary and Grammar.
2. You will not be stuck making small talk with people covering the same topics as normal like "How long have you been studying Japanese/English".
3. You will have authentic conversations in both Japanese and English about real topics in society.
4. A dedicated facilitator who wants to promote language learning and cultural exchange will make sure you’re in a safe space to enjoy the learning.
5. The process is designed and the technology is handled, so you just have to participate with a laptop and an open mind!
6. This is a genuinely intellectually engaging and fun event with interesting and motivated participants in attendance weekly.
7. The events are one of the few language exchange events in Tokyo that cater to Intermediate to Advanced learners of Japanese and English. We have a core of dedicated language learners who come every week and tackle a different text on a different topic.