WHAT IS CIVIC SPARK DAY?
Civic Spark Day is a time for public innovation – to brainstorm creative solutions to community problems.
WHAT'S THE PLAN FOR THE DAY?
1- Introductions (What is Code for Durham (http://codefordurham.com/)? What is open data (https://opendurham.nc.gov/page/home/)?)
2- Presentation of some of the solutions we’ve developed so far
• Adopt a Drain
• Budget Visualization
• NC Food Inspector
• School Navigator (https://durhamschoolnavigator.org/#/)
3- Panel discussion with community leaders
• Eric Jackson (https://www.linkedin.com/in/ericjackson/), City of Asheville & Code for Asheville
• Noel Isama (https://www.linkedin.com/in/noel-isama-9008541b/), Sunlight Foundation
• Erin Parish (https://www.linkedin.com/in/erin-parish-0602496/), City of Durham
4- Time to brainstorm new solutions
(Plus lunch and a happy hour at Bull McCabes (http://bullmccabesirishpub.com/) following the event)
YEAH, BUT WHAT'S THE POINT OF CIVIC SPARK DAY?
Our goal is to bring people together, and develop new ideas for future Code for Durham projects. We’ve done some cool things so far- help us figure out what to work on next. Learn more at codefordurham.com.
WHO IS INVITED?
This event is open to participants of all skills, perspectives, and experiences. The more, the better! You don’t need to be a programmer or technology expert to participate.
If you’re into improving our community, working with others, and data-informed solutions, this event is for you!
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
• Attend one our regularly scheduled Civic Hacking Sessions to help prepare for the event (July 11, July 25, August 8)
• Attend the event.
Register on Eventbrite: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/civic-spark-day-tickets-35743850820
• Help us spread the word about this event.
• Support the event through a donation or sponsorship.