addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › Laser Fun Day at the University of Arizona--need volunteers

Laser Fun Day at the University of Arizona--need volunteers

Don L.
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Hello Tucson Atheists,

This is Jonny, you may have seen my at Drinking Godlessly a few times. For those of you that don't know me, I'm a graduate student in the Optics department at the University of Arizona. Last April our department student group held a science outreach event called Laser Fun Day. We crammed our department building full of optics demos and invited students and their families from around Tucson to attend. Last year's event was a huge success; about 500+ students and their families attended. We even got an email from a 3rd graded, telling us how excited he is to become an Optical Scientist!

We'll be holding Laser Fun Day again this year next Saturday, March, 31st from 10am-3pm (flyer attached). This year we're hoping to make Laser FunDay even bigger and more fun. We'll have more demos and we'll be discussing all sciences this year, not just optics. I know that many of you are interested in scientific frontiers and I'm hoping some of you might be interested in volunteering. Volunteering responsibilities will be broken up into two 3 hour sections; morning and afternoon. The morning session will start at 9 am and go until 11:45 am at which point those volunteers will be fed (we couldn't forget the food part!). The second group will arrive at noon, eat lunch, and then work demos until 3:15p. I will be coordinating the volunteers for this years Laser Fun Day, so if you're interested in volunteering please email me back and let me know.

If you would like to volunteer, please contact Zach Newman at­ or myself at­

Again, please let me know if you're interested in volunteering (and, of course, no pressure if you're not interested). If you have friends or family that are interested in participating please let them know as well. I hope to see all of you next week!

Jonathan Brand

Graduate Student

University of Arizona