addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › Research study

Research study

Don L.
Group Organizer
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 262
My name is Alex Webb and I'm a first-year graduate student studying Industrial and Organizational Psychology at Wayne State University. I am writing because I am looking for individuals who might be willing to complete a short online survey that asks participants how (and if) they manage their religious identities at work.

Recent research has strongly suggested that atheists are one of the most stigmatized groups in the United States. The goal of my project is to explore how atheist individuals discuss their beliefs at work (if they choose to discuss them at all) given the prevalence of this social stigma. I also aim to link these different ways that people talk about their beliefs to long-term outcomes for both the individual employee and the employing organization.

Since it has been relatively difficult for us to find atheist individuals for this study, I am writing in the hopes that you might be willing to share this survey link with your organization's members, and/or any other atheists you might know personally. All responses are completely anonymous, and our results will only be reported in aggregate form in order to ensure that no one is personally identifiable. We would also be glad to share our findings with you upon the conclusion of the study in September.

If you are willing to help with the study, the survey can be found
here: http://edu.surveygizm...­
(Please note that the institution sponsoring this project is actually Michigan State University because the primary investigator is affiliated with that institution.)

Thanks very much for your time and consideration, and have a great rest of the week!

Alexander Webb
aj.webb (at)
A former member
Post #: 13
Always willing to help out with research when I can. Unfortunately I currently work less than 25 hours per weeks so I do not qualify to participate. Best Regards.
A former member
Post #: 22
A word on the subject of definition(s). In this country, with its overwhelmingly Christian heritage, it is common to use the name God as if we all agreed upon what it meant (although even the believers do not agree all the time). This tendency--a kind of colloquial usage--often slips into atheist discussions. [I find myself repeating the point in our meeetings: we don't believe in gods, plural.]

So your undertaking may have to address this vagueness on the part of Christians, and the tendency of atheists (in America, at least) to echo that usage. Atheism is not a belief system, or a convocation of folks with the same heritage. It's a lot of people individually making the choice to reject a belief system--to judge the world without reference to any such mythos.