addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Tucson Atheists Message Board › Could a teenage atheist convert get the same sympathy and protection as a Ch

Could a teenage atheist convert get the same sympathy and protection as a Christian convert?

A former member
Post #: 2
A news article on cnn.com about a Muslim teenager who converted to Christianity, and who sought sanctuary from her father who allegedly threatened her life:

http://www.cnn.com/20...­

The question I have is, suppose she had proclaimed that she was an atheist; would she have garnered the same sympathy in the press, or found similar protection? She found sanctuary in Orlando through a Christian advocacy organization, staying in the home of a minister (I KNOW what you MAY be thinking in regards to this, please set all prurient matters aside, at least for the moment). What would a teen who proclaimed their atheism do in this situation?

This begs the more general question: what happens in religiously devout families when a teenager proclaims their atheism? What spectrum of reactions occur? Do any documented cases exist?

Eric
A former member
Post #: 334
I've read about this in the papers. My guess is that the Good Reverend (xian preacher that snagged her) probably put the "you're in danger" idea in her head. Not all people that are islamic are ready to murder their children. The child protective people and cops in Ohio have check out the parents inside out and see no credible threat.

I think there's a good chance it's an xian preacher trying to take advantage and play on how willing people are to be suspicious of islamic people.

But to answer your original question - hell no. If she'd become an atheist they'd have sent her back home, given her dad a dull knife left.

--- edit ---

And yes, there are documented cases of what happens when someone in a religious family becomes an atheist. In one case it's kind of funny....

http://www.youtube.co...­