addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

UX Brisbane Message Board › UX Australia conference reflections

UX Australia conference reflections

Ben M.
BenMelbourne
Group Organizer
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 3
Hi Brisbane UXers

It was great to see so many locals at the UX Australia conference last week. It was great to meet some more locals and have them join the group.

So what were people's highlights and take away insights?

I think the Bronwyn van der Merwe talk about the work she did at BBC and creating their Global Experience Language (GEL) stood out for me personally. Seeing the way they have managed to get some consistency across a such a large and diverse organisation with various different channels is just amazing. I've seen lots of similar projects fail on far small organisations. It's also great that they are able to share everything, giving some light and help for other people trying to do that same thing.

It was also fun just to get a much of UXers together and chat design stuff over a few drinks : )

What were other peoples' favourites?
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Ben,

Firstly, congrats on the group. Thanks for the introduction at UXA - seems like a good little thing you're on to here.

I agree entirely with the Bronwyn VDM talk. That Gel website resource is incredibly thorough, and the scale on which it was achieved was mind blowing.

Other highly useful talks were Jake Causby's on avoiding Potholes. I'm already trying to get a design wall implemented at work. It looks like the guys at Atlassian are doing good things to better integrate the whole development team in an open, transparent design process.

Also the Google guys speaking about Google Drive and change aversion was something that will come in very handy when considering iterations and launches of future designs.

Cheers,
Tj.
Ben M.
BenMelbourne
Group Organizer
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 4
I was impressed by the number of people from Atlassian who presented. They must have made a real effort to get out there and share this year.

I love how common practice design walls have become nowadays. They're such a great way of sharing information and fostering collaboration. I always find it fascinating seeing examples of other peoples'.
Andrew W.
user 12741720
Brisbane, AU
Post #: 1
I thought the same thing about Atlassian as I drank my Atlassian coffee to recover from the Atlassian pizza and beer I had after listening to the Atlassian presentations all afternoon...

+1 for the BBC GEL presentation. Steve Baty's innovation workshop was the other highlight for me. I also really enjoyed the bits I understood from Jeremy Yuille's talk on Friday afternoon :)

I also found that talking about the presentations and workshops with other UXers was as valuable as the content itself.