addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Unity Game Developers WNC Message Board › Let's Make A Game

Let's Make A Game

A former member
Post #: 5
From the feedback we've gotten, it seems like a group project is the most popular idea for a new focus. So we'd love to hear your ideas about what sort of game you'd like to make.

Some of the core decisions to be made include:
Mobile or Desktop?
3D or 2D?
Single or Multi-player?
Genre
Mechanics
Style

Please keep in mind that the project needs to be relatively small in scope. We want it to be something a few people working a few hours a week could complete in a few months.

Let's hear what you want to create!
A former member
Post #: 6
For myself, my primary motivation is that we make something interesting and creative. Why make yet another PvP zombie endless runner survival match three game when you could create a puzzle game about the emotional impact of hacking on sentient computers? Or an exploration game about making first contact with a truly alien life form? Or a rhythm game about navigating the dreams of child?

As for the details, I tend towards single player games. I mostly play mobile 2D puzzle games or desktop 3D exploration games, with the occasional detour into low-action RPGs. But I could get excited about making most anything that has a creative idea driving it!
Giles O.
Giles_ODell
Asheville, NC
Post #: 3
Hi everyone! It was good to meet and speak with you last night.

Here are some links to the games I mentioned that have cool art direction.

Wheels of Aurelia - this game is still in development. I like the mixture of minimalist isometric 3D with hand-drawn 2D characters. http://www.wheelsofau...­

Kentucky Route Zero - this is an episodic point-and-click adventure game that's been in development for several years. The environments are built in 3D but often presented in a classic 2D side view, with minimal camera moves for dramatic effect. http://kentuckyroutez...­

Here are the links to my portfolios. This one features most of the animation work I've done for agencies and manufacturers: http://gilesodell.com...­ And this one shows more creative styles of rendering and illustration, as well as a little bit of game related stuff: http://www.zoonbats.c...­

Maybe during the week we could each come up with a couple of ideas for games (or gamelets as Chris said) and share them and see if there are some that we're all excited about. Basically pitching ideas in a no-pressure, supportive way. Then we can discuss what seems exciting and could realistically be done within our time frame and hopefully choose something to move forward with.
A former member
Post #: 7
We had a great meeting last night!

Our new group project is... Putt Putt of Doom!

Or putt putt of something, at least. :) The general idea is:

Mobile
Procedurally-generated holes
Unconventional setting
Very long holes

As time and enthusiasm permit, it might also have:
Multiple settings
Branching holes
Oddball characters/dialog
Rube Goldberg-style obstacles
Save-able/share-able holes
Sequences/combos
Collectibles
Adaptive difficulty

We're still open to ideas for features, so feel free to contribute your thoughts. This is also open to anyone of any skill level, so if you want to participate please do jump in! We'll be using Slack chat and Unity Collaborate. If you're interested, send me a message with the email address you use for your Unity account and I'll get you set up with both.

We'll be using an "iterative development" approach, so we'll start with a simple core game and get it completely done. Then we'll pick one feature and work on it until it's completely done. And so on until we're satisfied with our finished game. That will keep everything in bite-sized chunks so the project will stay manageable and finish-able.

Let's make a game!