addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 4
I might have nothing to say tomorrow biggrin, since I already wrote most of what I thought. Dostoevsky quotes Luke 8:32-36. But, the episode begins at 27 (Luke 8) as,

27: He was stepping ashore when a man from the city who was possessed by devils came towards him; for a long time the man had been living with no clothes on, not in a house, but in the tombs.

28: Catching sight of Jesus he gave a shout, fell at his feet and cried out at the top of his voice, 'What do you want with me, Jesus, son of the Most High God? I implore you, do not torture me.'

The chapter, At Tikhon's, is Stavrogin's confession. Stavrogin came to confess in hoping that he could be forgiven (according to Roman catholic and Russian or other orthodox). By repenting he would be healed. He might have lived in a hell before came in. Can we regard Stavrogin as a man in the above who came to see Jesus? Peter Verkhovensky and his followers might be also regarded as swines.

Nietzsche wrote about his superman, "Man is a rope stretched between the animal and the Superman--a rope over an abyss". Does the man in this quote look like Stavrogin or Kilirov (Raskolnikov or Ivan Karamazov) ? What happens to them is that the rope is finally tore apart.

I think that in his novels, he often contrasts his heros' extreme negation on God with God's silent agape love. Such extreme negation makes his heroes falling stars which lose their orbit.

While reading this novel, at the back of my mind, I feel like that Dostoevsky put me at the end of Europe and Russia.
It seems like that something (disastrous) would be about to happen or might have happened in Russia. Some quotes from Revelation at the last chapter of this novel seems to be a final touch on such apocalyptic mood.

Regi M.
Regwords
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 42
Brilliant. So much to think about. You better be ready to reveal more tonight.
You are really helping guide my thoughts.