addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
Jan
Janzheart
Vancouver, BC
Post #: 740
Cha-Cha-Cha
Adventures with Tea
And the Winner Is….

by Carol on December 22, 2010
TEA HAIKU CONTEST WINNERS!

Many wonderful entries made for a difficult decision.

After much deliberation I can announce that the “winner” is actually a group of 3, who wrote their haikus together after going to a Chinese tea shop. These joint winners are Jasa Baka, Julia Hutchings and Sebastian Hutchings

From Jasa Baka:

crazy tea lady
wouldn’t let us leave her store
until we knew why

From Julia Hutchings:

stand still vapourist
hot cup history pouring
soak in green cloud night

And from Sebastian Hutchings:

china town tea shop
wake old knowledge in new winds
three sips in each cup

Second Prize goes to Victoria’s Carol Sokoloff, who wrote:

Winter drizzle stings,
I pour warm tea, revive
the frozen spirit.

They will all receive the contents of the beautiful Tetley Colour Therapy Tea basket.

A very Honourable Mention to Deanne Mineau for:

Flavour infusion
Sips of Nature’s treasure chest
Oh Tea! My delight

Applause (one hand clapping) for James K-M‘s entry:

I would like some tea
But I do not have any
Tea slides through my hand

I raise my cup of sweet tea to Baljit Siekham for:

So new are we to each others embrace,
I know not how to comfort thee,
Here have some seasonal tea.

A morning herbal infusion to Laurie Owen for

Spinning old mind sleeps.
Woo’ed by jasmine flow’r and mint,
Energized mind wakes.

And finally, an espresso to C. James for:

Coffee warms the throat
In the rain soaked morning light
The cold night deposed

Great gratitude to isabella mori, whose Tea Table Book, a book of poetry, has just gone into its second printing, and to the other poet advisors who helped in our decision.
Oh, and thanks to Tetley, for providing the prize!

by Carol on November 30, 2010

I received this message from the Tetley people, and a sample tea to try (review coming soon.) They are asking “What’s your Colour Today?” and I especially like the fact that Colour is spelled with Canadian spelling!

Tetley Tea is on a mission to help Canadians get more “colourful” with their new line of herbal teas. As you know, colour influences our lives every day. In the home, a bedroom that’s painted paled blue an have a calming affect. Wearing red can illicit a sense of energy and excitement. Our colour choices can have dramatic effects on our mood and well being. Now you can match or even influence your mood using colour with this new line of herbal teas for a little Tetley Colour Therapy.

And watch my blog for the contest to win this lovely gift basket! More coming soon…. Contest announcement next posting!

Sawa Tea Lounge

by Carol on November 18, 2010

I love independent tea shops (not chain affiliated) that have the stamp of the owner’s personality and generosity. Once again it is the positive nature of the tea culture, in all its moods and shades.

A few weekends ago I met a friend at Sawa Tea Lounge in the Waterfall Building just by Granville Island. A lovely selection of teas, and I chose ceremonial Matcha because I knew that the Japanese tea there would no doubt be high quality. I wasn’t disappointed – beautifully served in a ceramic tea bowl. But I was also curious to try some of the other teas – so I’m looking forward to returning to try some more.

On entering, it seemed a small little place, but there are a few steps that lead down into the seating area, which features a delightful optical illusory bamboo/mirror corner. The space where we sat at a table for two was a little uncomfortable, cold seeming, but perhaps when the central fire area is “on” or somehow in use, it might be really spectacular in the room. As it was, on a cooler day, and with the concrete walls and floors echoing all conversation, it took a while for us to find an intimacy of conversation (the other important component to meeting a friend for tea.)

I am still intrigued by the place, and the tea quality was very fine, and felt generous, so I’ll definitely be returning to Sawa. If you go to their site you’ll read the story of Sawa, and how the tea lounge came to be.

Tagged as: Japanese, matcha, matcha bowl, sawa, tea, tea culture, tea house, tea shop, Vancouver

Brahmin’s Choice from Steven Smith Teamaker! So glad to see my favorite tea for sale here in Vancouver. It seems a little pricier than it was down in Portland, but that’s because its in the twist-wrap box. Oh and it’s in Canada. It must also be available here in food stores, but I was pleased to discover it on the eclectic shelves at the Old Faithful Shop on Cordova Street. It’s steeping right now so this post will be quick. Just went to their blog to grab an image for this post and what a great discovery: this blog is as good as the store! And before I left the store I had a spritz from a tester for fantastic cedar perfume… mmm

by Carol on October 15, 2010

This is the image on the bag from Fidelis Tea at 5881 Victoria Drive in Fraserview. Beautiful teas and many different tea pots, cups, and other teamaking supplies. The owner knows his teas, and the fine shop is a delight! I don’t know what the Chinese characters on the bag are advertising – can you read this?

Shaktea in Vancouver

by Carol on October 12, 2010

I’ve recently had two lovely and inspiring conversations over tea at Shaktea, one of Vancouver’s pleasant tea shops. Casual and welcoming, they sell a wide variety of loose tea, offer an extensive tea menu, as well as an afternoon tea – something I must try someday. I’m a big fan of their French Earl Grey tea, my current favorite. A good place to meet. The staff never rush you to finish quickly and leave, and there is a sense that you have all the time in the world. Sometimes the noise of cars on Main comes in through the open doorway (plus its a bit chilly now we are into October), but the bead entry curtain, the atmospheric music and warm colours of the walls make up for it.

The Shaktea website is beautiful, and reveals an intention behind the tea lounge that I find so congruent with my interest in the promotion of tea culture.