Does the thought of speaking at our local WordPress Vancouver Meetup or WordCamp intrigue you? The focus of this hands-on workshop will be to generate WordPress-related topics to give a talk on, boost your speaking confidence, and allow you to practice speaking in a safe space. At the end of the workshop you will have a few ideas for talks, an outline on one topic, a description for our Meetup page (or pitch/proposal for applying to other events), and a chance to practice speaking in a small group.
***You do NOT have to have any experience in public speaking. This workshop is for all levels of experience.
- Why speak at WordPress events?
- Dispelling some myths about speakers/speaking
- Coming up with topics and choosing one
- Writing a Meetup description (or formal pitch/proposal for other events)
- Coming up with a great title
- Writing your bio
- Writing the outline
- Practice giving a short talk
By popular demand, this year we are also offering the workshop online in June for those who can’t travel to Vancouver, have childcare needs, etc.! There is a separate meetup event for this.
- RED is wheelchair accessible with elevators to both of our floors.
- There are accessibility washrooms that are also non-gendered.
- Please do not wear scents. Many people are allergic to them.
You're welcome to bring food to eat during the workshop and on our break. There are fridges, microwaves, cutlery and plates etc available for use. The venue just asks that we tidy up after ourselves.
Facilitator: Jill Binder
Thank you Red Academy (https://redacademy.com/vancouver/) for hosting the event. They are a technology & design school with an agency-style environment that focuses on real client projects in UX/UI design, web development & digital marketing.