What we’re about
The Vancouver User Experience Group is a diverse community of practitioners and students who are passionate about building better experiences and honing our skills. We meet regularly to share innovative research, diverse perspectives and inspiring real-world examples.
This group also meets 2 times per year to plan and execute the monthly event series. This team is responsible for planning the monthly event calendar, balancing the types of events held (presentations, workshops, panels, lightning talks, tours, etc), venues and logistics. Each event requires publication on Meetup, ticket management, on-site logistics and speaker coordination.
The financial mandate of VanUE is to run revenue-neutral events with the help and generosity of sponsors and volunteers. OXD manages the VanUE account for funds collected at the door for events. We have kept access affordable (typical monthly sessions cost $5-$10). Funds from these events are used to invest back in future events or speakers, or occasionally used to cover a portion of a social activity after the event. From time to time, when we bring in an out of town speaker or have a special event, tickets can be up to $20, but only to cover expenses of venue, catering and our speaker.
Founding sponsors include:
Habanero Consulting Group
If you are interested in becoming a sponsor to provide a venue or help with travel or costs for an out-of-town speaker, please contact one of the organizers via Meetup or at email@example.com.
Via Meetup, the organizers share announcements of official VanUE events (and sell related tickets), UX related job postings and occasional cross-posting of related, local UX events and activities. There are usually 4-6 announcements per month.
Meetup members have access to a moderated VanUE community message board and can post messages directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Messages must be posted using the email account associated Meetup.
Suggestions for UX related topics are always welcome by contacting us at email@example.com or by contacting the organizers on Meetup.
If you are a local UX practitioner or student and would like to help out with VanUE events, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming events (1)See all
- Get professional feedback on your portfolio at VanUE Portfolio Review!Microsoft Campus Vancouver-725, Vancouver, BCCA$5.00
Meet our amazing reviewers and get professional feedback on your portfolio at VanUE Portfolio Review!
Are you looking for ways to improve your portfolio and presentation skills? Do you want to get honest and constructive feedback from industry experts? Do you want to network with other UX enthusiasts and learn from their experiences?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, then this event is for you!
During this two-hour session, you will:
- Present your work to one or more of our reviewers for 15 minutes each
- Receive personalized advice on how to enhance your portfolio and showcase your strengths
- Listen to other portfolio reviews and gain insights from different perspectives
- Connect with other UX practitioners and expand your network
This is an in-person event. All are welcome, but hurry, spots are limited and fill up fast!
530pm - 6pm - Arrive early and mingle
6pm - 615pm - Introduction and kick-off/sign up
615pm - 8pm - Timed portfolio reviews (with a quick break in the middle)
How does it work?
Here’s what you need to know before you sign up:
- Come prepared with your portfolio on a clean, presentable laptop or tablet. Don’t count on being able to connect to the Internet at the venue
- You'll get to sign up to have one or more portfolio review sessions from a selection of four UX experts from different backgrounds and get their feedback on your work
- You will have 15 minutes to present your portfolio and receive feedback. You should spend about 7 minutes presenting your work and 8 minutes discussing and getting feedback
- Prepare 3 to 5 key points per piece and explain your process and thinking. Be concise and confident, but also open and receptive to suggestions
- Dress as you would for work - if in doubt, go for business casual
This is a great opportunity to practice your presentation skills and get valuable insights from seasoned UX professionals. Don’t miss this amazing chance to boost your career and network with like-minded people!
Check out our group video and photo gallery to see what our previous events were like.
Where do the fees go?
VanUE relies on the kindness and generosity of sponsors and volunteers to run events that break even. We ask for a small fee to help us cover the costs of organizing the events. We use the money from the events to fund future events or speakers, or sometimes to pay for part of a social activity after an event.
Who are the reviewers?
We've assembled an awesome group of local professionals who have agreed to act as reviewers. Each is outstanding on their own, and together they bring over 57 years of combined experience to help you improve your portfolio. Here's the list. Click to see their LinkedIn profiles.
- Dave Kachman, Senior User Experience Designer at OXD
- Rock Leung, PhD, User Experience Research Lead at Samsung
- Jonathan Chan, Product Designer at Cvent
- Naixin (Naomi) Zhang, Independent UX Designer
- Olivia Lui, Designer at Microsoft
- Deborah MacKenzie, Senior User Experience Designer at OXD
- Nancy Sun, Senior Designer at Best Buy Canada