addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Madison Area Vegetarian Meetup Group Message Board Meetup › Veggie Group April Fools Archive

Veggie Group April Fools Archive

Closed to new replies

Dave
dvandelay
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 112
I started organizing this group in October, 2007. Every April Fools' Day since then I've sent out a joke email to all the members. Consider yourself warned.

-Dave

April 1, 2008

Family-Friendly Dinner
As we approach 100 members, there are a number of people in the group with family who are not vegetarian. So I decided to set up an event that will accommodate them, as well. Prime Quarter Steak House has a great salad bar and baked potato for $8.95. And their grill-your-own steak is just $19.95. They agreed to let us use their banquet room for free if we have at least 20 people. This is a nice opportunity to introduce us to those non-vegetarians in your life.

April 31, 2008 at 6:30 pm
Prime Quarter Steak House
3520 East Washington Avenue
Cost: $12 veg / $24 non-veg (includes soda, tax, and tip)
More Info/RSVP

I hope you can make it.

-Dave

There really was an article about the group in the newspaper right before April 1st. For many new members who signed up after reading that article, my April Fools' Day email was their first contact from me (besides the automatic welcome email). I felt bad about that -- but not bad enough to skip sending out this email.

April 1, 2009

Welcome For New Group Members
We had a great response to the article in last Sunday's paper, with over 30 new people signing up for the group in just a few days. For those who are new to the group, I think you'll find us to be welcoming and fun.

To commemorate the influx of new members, I contacted the owners of the vegetarian Dandelion Food Cart to prepare a special dinner for us that accommodates the diets of as many people as possible. So, in addition to being completely vegan, the menu for this meal will be free of gluten, wheat, peanuts, strong spices, sugar, and salt...

Appetizers
Dried Lentils with Brown Rice
Steamed Cauliflower Bits on Flaxseed Crackers

Soup
Pressed Celery in Salt-Free Vegetable Broth

Entrees
Rotini Rice Pasta Mixed with Thinly-Sliced Carrots
Steamed Mini Tofu Squares with Fresh Bean Sprouts

Dessert
Homemade Cabbage Sorbet with Puffed Rice Wafers

Beverages
Ice Water with a Hint of Brewer's Yeast

April 31, 2009 at 6:30 pm
Goodman Community Center
149 Waubesa Street
Cost: $14.00
More Info/RSVP

I hope you can make it.

-Dave

April 1, 2010

The text says...

Taste Test Challenge

Sorry for the short notice, but we have a great opportunity to promote the veggie group -- and vegetarianism -- tonight.

Madison's annual World's Largest Brat Fest is gearing up for their big event with a taste test challenge tonight. Last year it was just between Johnsonville and Oscar Mayer, but this year they're including Tofurky brats.

Even with a blindfold on, it should be easy for us to tell which is the Tofurky brat. We have nearly 500 people in the group now, so let's have a strong showing and see if we can make Tofurky the winner.

Plus, the local network news shows will all be there. If you have a chance to be interviewed, I'd appreciate you mentioning the veggie group. Thanks.

You can find all the details for the event at this website.

April 1, 2011

The text says...

I thought this would be of interest to group members. A study published in The New England Journal of Medicine tracked the lives of 250 omnivores and vegetarians for 40 years. Here's the write-up about it I saw on the Vegetarian Times' website...

In 1970 two graduate students at UC-Berkeley, Frank Owens and Oliver Larson, decided to study the long-term effects of a vegetarian diet. They selected 250 undergraduates (half omnivore, half vegetarian) and began with detailed interviews, physical exams, and lab tests. For the last 40 years they've gotten updates on their subjects primarily through annual written questionnaires.

The study is ongoing, but Owens and Larson published a number of findings in The New England Journal of Medicine. In addition to confirming the widespread assumption that a vegetarian diet significantly increases the chances for a longer and healthier life, they also found:
  • Omnivores ascend faster and higher than vegetarians on the corporate ladder -- even after normalizing for differences in the number of vegetarians who seek corporate work.
  • Vegetarians are 42% more likely to vote and 79% more likely to serve on jury duty. However, the relatively small percentage of vegetarians in the general population diminishes their influence in society.
  • Vegetarians marry four years later on average, but are 32% less likely to divorce. Researchers attribute the delay to vegetarians being more selective with dating partners. They say this ultimately leads to a stronger relationship, which shows in the lower divorce rate among the vegetarians in their study.
  • Vegetarians report being 29% happier than omnivores. Researchers did not find a correlation between happiness and income or standard of living once a minimum threshold is reached.
  • Vegetarians give 317% more to charitable causes than omnivores. While the percentages are roughly equal for those who give anything, the amount donated by vegetarians is more than three times that of omnivores.
  • Omnivores are 26% more likely than vegetarians to serve time in prison for committing a felony, while vegetarians are 32% more likely to be a victim of a white collar crime or confidence scheme. Researchers believe that hormones given to many farm animals effect the functioning of the human brain's prefrontal cortex, which has been linked to aggression, honesty, and gullibility.

For more information on the UC-Berkeley study, read all the details on The New England Journal of Medicine's website.
Dave
dvandelay
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 178
April 1, 2012

The text says...

I thought I should share this with the group. I'll let you know as soon as I have more information.

-Dave

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Meetup Organizer Advisory
To: dave@fun2play.com
Reply-To: info@meetup.com

Meetup Message from Scott Heiferman, Meetup.com CEO
Meetup Organizer Advisory

Dear Meetup Organizer,

It has come to our attention that government informants have joined a number of Meetup groups around the country. It appears that these group types have been targeted:

- worker rights / anti-government / 'occupy'
- muslim / communist / libertarian
- animal rights / vegan / vegetarian
- environmental / civil rights / peace

We do not yet know if your Meetup group has been targeted, but I thought it was important to tell you about that possibility. As we learn more we will provide updates on this page.

I want you to know that we take this very seriously, which is why we have informed you as soon as we found out.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me personally.

Sincerely,
Scott Heiferman
Meetup.com CEO
Dave
dvandelay
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 180
April 1, 2013

The text says...

Since the veggie group hit the 1,000 member milestone last year I've been thinking about how much has changed over the last five years. It's great that there are more attendees at our events than I ever dreamed possible, but I do miss the early days when I was on a first name basis with everyone in the group.

I'm not going to start removing people from the group, but I do have an idea to try to bring back some of that "small group" feeling.

If you're interested, take a few minutes to fill out this short questionnaire and I'll match you up with a few other group members you might enjoy getting to know better. Then, it's up to you to coordinate with each other.

Here are the questions, with a link after for submitting your responses online:

What level of vegetarian are you?
* Just interested
* Vegetarian
* Vegan
* Raw

What's the main reason?
* Animal welfare
* Health
* Environment
* Religion

What do you like to do in your spare time?
* Cook
* Hike
* Watch movies
* Party

How important are material things to you?
* Minimal
* Average
* I have expensive tastes

How trusting are you...
Do you lock your doors when you're out grocery shopping?

* Yes
* No

Do you live spontaneously or do you follow a routine...
When do you usually do your grocery shopping?

* Saturday mornings
* Sunday afternoons
* Whenever

Are you more logical or sentimental...
How do you select the PIN code for your accounts?
* Random number
* Your birthday
* Anniversary

I will tabulate the responses next weekend. Please submit your answers and contact information online here by Friday.

Thanks,
Dave
Dave
dvandelay
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 182
Subject: Vegan Dinner at Wah Kee & Other Veggie Group Updates

I wanted to send out a note because there are only 12 people signed up for next week's vegan dinner at Wah Kee. I don't want to trivialize that number, but it wasn't long ago when we'd need two seatings, totaling around 100 people.

I thought the declining interest might be due to repeating a lot of the same restaurants, but we've never even had an event at Wah Kee before. It just seems that the novelty of the dinners is wearing off. This isn't leading up to a big announcement that I'm shutting things down, but I do want to change things up and see if that makes a difference. I've scheduled different events for the next three months. Then I'll reevaluate for August.

Fees for these events include a vegan sack lunch. Guests are welcome at all events... Observe and then join us for lunch. (Guest fee is $5.00 for lunch.)

I welcome your feedback.

Best,
Dave

Dave
dvandelay
Group Organizer
Middleton, WI
Post #: 184
April 1, 2015

Subject: Veggie Group Update - New Restaurant

One of our group members tipped me off to a new area restaurant. Unfortunately, it’s not a new vegetarian or vegan place -- this restaurant is on a farm where they slaughter the animals that are served. Larson’s Family Farm & Locavore Restaurant in DeForest (just north of Madison) serves meat from freshly-slaughtered chickens, rabbits, pigs, and cows. People can even schedule a tour of the operation (including the killing of the animals). According to their website:

As fifth-generation Wisconsin farmers, we are proud of the way we raise our animals. We welcome visits from families and schools so our friends and neighbors can see that we care about our animals as much as they care about theirs. And when the time comes for their sacrifice, we carry out that process in a humane and sacred way. (We do not recommend this part of the tour for children under 7 years of age.)

At the conclusion of the tour, we invite you to stay for a delicious home-cooked meal made with the freshly-slaughtered meat. This is a unique opportunity to enjoy a meal without any concern about the source of the food.

Honestly, I have mixed feelings about this. Of course, it saddens me to think about the animals that are killed. But it also removes the veil from something that normally occurs behind closed doors. What do you think?

To read more about the farm/restaurant, you can visit their website here.