What we're about
Upcoming events (2)
October 22, 2022:
The Veg Comm’s October plantluck will be Pizza on the Patio on Saturday, the 22nd, from 4 to 8 pm at the country home of Carolyn and Bob Howe, 2284 Sugar Bottom Road, NE, Solon. (Directions and map link are below. Veg Comm signs will provide guidance). We’ll enjoy a relaxed evening on the Howe patio. Our pizza oven will be fired up for making our own pizzas, which we’ll enjoy hot from the oven! I will provide the pizza dough and sauce. Everyone bring a favorite topping to share for making pizzas. Suggestions are: vegan cheese, black olives, pre-steamed or sauteed mushrooms, veggies, or eggplant (precooking veggies keeps the pizza from getting soggy), or any favorite sauces. Also, please bring a side dish, salad, dessert, or beverage. Electricity will be available for hot dishes.
The social hour will begin at 4 p.m., followed by the plantluck at 5:30.
No worries about the temperature as the evening begins to cool, because we can gather around the firepit.
Due to parking limitations, the number of participants will be capped at 40. (Carpooling is encouraged).
Bonus: There will be a vegan cookbook/T-shirt sale as part of our plantluck.
For the plantluck, please bring:
- A pizza ingredient(s) as outlined above.
- A vegan side dish that provides 8-10 servings. (If you are new to veganism, the term ‘vegan’ means no animal flesh or fat, dairy, eggs, or honey.)
- Recipes for the dishes you prepare for allergy avoidance and to share.
- Please plan to bring a financial donation to assist with defraying VCEI expenses (suggested contribution: $5 per adult, if affordable). Children are free. Credit cards are accepted.
We will observe the following the CDC’s COVID-19 guidelines:
- Please stay home if you have symptoms of COVID-19 (fever or chills, cough, shortness of breath, etc.), are waiting for COVID-19 test results, have been diagnosed with COVID-19, if or may have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- We will be collecting attendee information (names, phone number, email address) to facilitate COVID contact tracing, if needed at a later date.
- A handwashing station will be located at the beginning of the buffet line (a spigot-type water container, liquid soap, and paper towels); use of a hand sanitizer is also an option. Attendees should follow all state, local, and CDC guidelines, as well as the VCEI’s guidelines.
* If you make a reservation but find you will be unable to attend, please change your reservation to "Not Going."
***** NOT A VCEI EVENT *****
Go out to the Haven October 23rd from 4:30-7pm for their Fourth Annual Vegan Chili Cook-off! They will have many varieties of Chili to sample so come hungry! This year they are thrilled to announce they have several professional chefs entering this year, Veggie Reaper, A full Bowl, Grandmas Root Cellar, and Mulligans! ALL guests will have a chance to pick the Chili King or Queen! Everyone will be given a ballot to vote for their favorite! Best Chili will receive a trophy! Weather permitting, we will have a bonfire, eat some vegan chili, and bid on silent auction items! You will also meet some of the Haven residents!
They will have disposable bowls and cutlery available, please feel free to bring your own bowl and spoon to cut down on landfill waste.
This is an outdoor event, please dress for the weather. In the event of inclement weather, they will host the event up in the big barn. They kindly ask for a minimum of a $10 donation but will never turn anyone away for inability to pay.
All proceeds go to caring for the residents of Hercules’ Haven.