addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Vegan Long Island Message Board › I made eleven vegetarians today...

I made eleven vegetarians today...

Jennifer G.
user 6937947
Group Organizer
Bellport, NY
Post #: 20
...because I handed out 470 copies of "Even If You Like Meat" to a target population (college students). Vegan Outreach estimates that 2.5% of those in this target population who are exposed to the super-effective VO literature will go veg. So...it could be that I made eleven vegetarians today!

It was a great experience. Eileen, a veteran VO leafleter, came out from NYC to be my buddy for the day. It was great being able to meet her at the campus (we did SCCC's Selden campus) to provide me with additional brochures, give me good leafleting advice, and generally be a reassuring presence within cell phone contact, even when we weren't standing together. (The student traffic was light enough that we ended up heading to opposite corners of the central plaza area, to work "solo" most of the time. More efficient that way.)

I quickly found a comfortable refrain: "Brochure to help stop animal cruelty? Even if you like meat, you can help by eating less..." I found some shady walks leading from the parking lots, and often had enough time to make eye contact and say all those words clearly--extending my arm fully (good tip, Eileen)--and had a high acceptance rate. By early afternoon, was encountering lots of "already got one."

Met Lisa, who's vegan, and Travis, too. I told them both about this meetup. :) One tall young man passed me, saying I'd already given one to him earlier...then he stopped, turned, and said very solemnly, "You're doing a good thing."

I love doing this. I love feeling *effective*. Can't wait to leaflet some concerts. I hope meetup members will let me know (here, or via email) if you're interested in trying this with me. Now that I'm an "experienced" VO leafleter, I'm eager to share what I've learned, and spread the outreach bug.