Two night backpacking trail work SAW TRIP. We will hike in to Rainbow Camp Friday. We will saw fallen trees. But there will be plenty of brushing also. Camp at beautiful Rainbow Camp on the South Fork of the Big Sur River. It is possible that we may camp at South Fork Camp, depending on progress on the Memorial Day trip.
This is an opportunity to see remote areas of the South Fork of the Big Sur River. Much of this area burned in the Soberanes Fire in 2016, but some beautiful unspoiled areas remain. We hope to see wildflowers at the high elevations.
MEET: 8 AM at Big Sur Station. Don't be late!
BE ADVISED THAT THIS IS A STRENUOUS TRIP WITH A LONG CLIMB AT THE END OF THE LAST DAY.
Hike 5.5 (or 7.5) miles from the trailhead to Rainbow Camp (or South Fork Camp). We will clear any fallen trees on the way to Rainbow Camp. Then work to clear trees on the South Fork Trail. Then work on the Big Sur Trail where additional large trees are blocking the trail.
WHAT TO BRING: In addition to bringing essential items of personal gear and food for the duration of the trip, please also include:
• Work gloves, sturdy work clothes, protective eyewear, and sturdy shoes or boots
• Day pack able to carry 3 liters of water
• Extra food and snacks for the trail
• Tecnu lotion for poison oak if you need it
• Your favorite loppers and handsaw if you have them, otherwise these tools will be provided
• Hard hat if you have one
• Safety instruction will be provided
• Don’t forget to bring a special contribution to the famous, festive and fabulous VWA hors d’oeurves POTLUCK. This is the first night of any trip but often spills over to other nights.
Local Weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.68545&lat=36.21681 (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-121.68545&lat=36.21681)
In the event rain is forecast, the trip will be re-scheduled.
FOR QUESTIONS: Contact trail crew leaders Betsy MacGowan and Maria using Meetup messaging.
POTLUCK appetizer or dinner item. For new people, this means we will have an optional potluck shared food on one or more nights.