addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Virtual Tech Self-Study Message Board › Lesson 02: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

Lesson 02: MySQL Marinate, Season 1

aram c
user 3961627
Cambridge, MA
Post #: 73
i am having some difficulties figuring out how to add MySQL bin directory to the operating system path for MAC OS, essentially the last book question from the homework.

Anyone have a page reference for this task.
I'm using os-x 10.6 and the setenv wasn't a found command in bash.

you can use export instead of setenv
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/mysql/bin

I used a different technique I've used before, thats OS-X specific and sets up the environment for all users. Its described here:

http://arstechnica.co...­

sudo sh -c 'echo "/usr/local/mysql/bin" >> /etc/paths.d/mysql'

Alana
user 3584937
Jamaica Plain, MA
Post #: 113
I had previously installed MAMP for PHP Percolate and already have that up and running. Hopefully this setup will work with the rest of the book :)
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 155
Alana - it should work! We will only be using the MySQL part, no need for the PHP or Perl or Apache, so you're all set.
A former member
Post #: 9
error 2003 10061 from cmd with correct path. Have tried everything including port checks and trying to chg root password via second set of instructions in your DBA book. You probably should also be aware of the fact that I had XAMPP on this Win 7 pro 64 bit machine, but had a novice issue with it so b4 installing it again according to the textbook, I created a backup file and moved Xampp mysql folders/files/everything into it b4 beginning the current installation a couple of weeks ago. Should I just uninstall and start over or is this easily rectified....tia...a tired M
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 157
Maureen - error 2003 is "Can't connect to MySQL". The section starting on page 75 entitled "What if things don't work?" should help a lot.

If that doesn't solve the problem, I'd check that MySQL is running, that the socket file you're trying to connect to exists (maybe it's in a different location?) and then check the error logs to see what the problem is.

You also don't need the whole stack, just MySQL, because that's all we're using in the course, so you could just uninstall and install only MySQL - should be a 15 minute installation, if you follow the book.
A former member
Post #: 10
Issue resolved. It had to be one or both of these....old existing datafile from XAMPP install used for a previous class or a firewall issue. In any case, it is finally resolved and I am on my way to Lesson 3! Thanks Sheeri....M
Sheeri Kritzer C.
sheeri
Group Organizer
Boston, MA
Post #: 159
Glad you got it fixed! Don't forget to submit your homework for the chapters you're done with when you get a chance...
A former member
Post #: 14
Hi:

Just pulled homework for second lesson.

Against my nature to be late on just about everything. Hope to catch up with subsequent lessons asap.
Aziz H.
user 76539202
Maynard, MA
Post #: 2
I installed the MySQL cluster and installed it successfully. I am not able to create users or groups however. I think I may be inputting the command line incorrectly. I used: sudo niutil -create / /users/mysql. I went ahead and was able to start and stop the server. Is there something I am not doing right when trying to create users?
David S.
user 72033132
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
I'm on Win 7 and installed XAMPP. When I open a browser and try to navigate to http://localhost... I always end up going to http://localhost/xamp...­ (the XAMPP for Windows Welcome page). Is this supposed to be happening? Navigating to http://localhost/phpi...­ works fine.

thx...david