Take a walk back in time to the epicentre of Britpop, circa 1995. This nostalgia-fuelled jaunt takes you on a stroll from the club-turned-pub that was the birthplace of Britpop, and through the neighbourhoods where the likes of Oasis and Blur found their inspiration.
This voice-guided GPS audio walk was created by Miranda Diboll, an audio producer and geocacher who lived right here where our story unfolds during the height of Britpop.
This audio walk is connected to Sound Walk Sunday (http://www.museumofwalking.org.uk/events/sound-walk-sunday/), a fantastic new initiative to globally celebrate outdoor audio, geo-located, immersive performances and sound walks. Sound Walk Sunday will be inaugurated at the Made of Walking International Festival at La Romieu, in Southwest France, and walking pieces will be held in cities around the world.
We’ll set off at 11am from outside Caffe 43 in Pratt Street, five minutes' walk from Camden Town tube station, and have a break about midway at Pembroke Castle Pub (https://www.facebook.com/PembrokeCastle/), the scene of an incident in our story. Our final stop is the Dublin Castle Pub (https://www.facebook.com/thedublincastle/), which is the perfect spot to soak up some Britpop atmosphere over a well-deserved drink.
VoiceMap is an audio tour app that plays stories about your surroundings while you walk. The iOS and Android apps use your smartphone’s GPS device to pinpoint your exact location, and play audio automatically.
You’ll need: a smartphone (Android or iPhone) with VoiceMap installed (and battery life), and a pair of headphones.
Download the tour on WiFi before you leave home using the instructions below.
1) Install VoiceMap for iPhone or Android
2) Sign up with email or Facebook, then look for “Britpop Camden” in the London menu
3) Tap on the download button. The audio walk costs £2.99. You can pay using your iTunes or Google Wallet accounts. Allow ALL the files to finish downloading before you close the app.
4) When the download is finished, you'll see a green "Start" button. You're ready to go!
5) VoiceMap works offline and doesn’t require any data.