addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

UX Book Club DC Message Board › Introductions

Introductions

William K.
William_Klemt
Washington, DC
Hey all,

My name is William Klemt, I'm an information architect and user researcher here in DC. I want to thank Andrew for hosting this meetup for the last few years. When I was getting started in the UX industry just a couple years ago the UX Book Club was by far my favorite meetup and helped guide my learning and thinking at a critical period.

Reflecting my young tenure in UX, I'm going to start with books that many of you have likely already read. Books Like Steve Krug's Don't Make Me Think and JJG's Elements of User Experience Design that I hope will bring people new to UX or interested in transitioning.

I also look forward to discussing books that take a broader, more philosophical, look at the world through a UX lens like Peter Morville's Intertwingled and Abby Covert's How to Make Sense of Any Mess. Also, if people are amenable, I'd like to look at books outside of the UX genre that may be read from a UX perspective like Marie Kondo's Spark Joy.

Finally, I intend to steer clear, at least at first, of the more textbook-like books like Information Architecture for the World Wide Web and About Face. While these are books many designers have on their shelf, I find they're often more for reference, and are likely longer than many people can get through in just a month.

Speaking of months, I'd like to stick to the schedule we've had in the past: one meetup per month, perhaps going to every other month when the books get longer. I'm going to give myself the month of July to drum up a space that can host us regularly and is close to public transportation. If anybody has any suggestions let me know, otherwise I'll let you know when we've got a space.

Thanks, and I look forward to reading with you all!
Karen T.
user 36716442
Washington, DC
Post #: 1
Our last few meetings with Andrew at the helm were at ISL (https://isl.co/contac...­ might still be an option. And thanks for taking over!
Samanta A.
user 189431926
Stockholm, SE
Post #: 1
Nice to meet you, William. Thanks for taking over!

How about looking into a place in the NoVA area? Nothing specific in mind, really—Is the majority of the group in DC? If that's the case then it definitely makes sense to stick to the area. But I was thinking that if the demographic is more varied than that, we should consider a location that's convenient for everyone.

I love your book suggestions. Specially, 'How to Make Sense of Any Mess'. I'm also interesting in 'Hooked' by Nir Eyal. Or 'Nicely Said' by Nicole Fenton and Kate Kiefer Lee.

Can't wait to get started with our next book!