addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Westchester Hiking Meetup Group Message Board › Can someone help me pick a trail?

Can someone help me pick a trail?

A former member
Post #: 77
Hi Guys,

I wonder if someone can help me?

I'm supposed to go overnight backpacking with my girlfriend soon, and I have yet to pick a route. I'm not particular where I go but I would't want to drive more than an hour from my house in Pine Bush. But this opens up Harriman (Bear Mountain) the Catskills, the Gunks, the Taconic region, and some of the lower Adirondacks. A pretty big area with a TON of hiking opportunities.

What I would like is a trail with some nice scenery, some water features (pond, lake, or waterfall) so we could take get wet if it's really hot (it would be awesome if we could camp by a pond or lake) and not too crowded. I think about 6-8 miles in to the campsite would be great. (Total round trip for the two days about 15 miles). It would be especially nice if we could do a loop but if that's not possible, a "there and back" is fine.

We are backpacking with a tent so we don't need the convenience of a formal campsite but I know that some regions do NOT allow "back country" camping.

This would be our first backpacking experience but we are experienced day hikers.

Can anyone suggest a trail?

Thanks,

Hal