addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Westchester for Change Message Board › Great Letter to The Editor Published

Great Letter to The Editor Published

Rachel E.
user 11954175
Harrison, NY
Post #: 2
Congratulations to Rosemarie White for getting her letter to the editor (written at our gathering at CWA Local 1103 Union Hall) published in The Journal News.

Here is the link: Rosemarie's Letter
Below is the unedited version:

Why are we balancing budgets on the backs of the middle class – whether civil servants or private employees? This is a part of society who has had the least benefit (i.e., stagnant wages) from the economic prosperity of the last 20-30 years and yet is being asked to absorb most of the burden of the economic downturn through lost jobs, diminished wages, and decreased public services.

Why are we creating a class war amongst the middle class (public vs. private sector) while the segment of society (the top 2%) that has received the highest benefit and most financial growth in the last 20 years is continuing to receive those higher benefits through the tax cuts that in part actually helped create the budget deficit crisis because of decreased revenue?

Are American workers not entitled to a “living” wage and secure lifestyle? My dad, a civil service worker during the 50’s, was able to feed, clothe, house and educate his family and maintain a lifestyle that, while not luxurious in any way, was at least comfortable and secure. He was also able to retire with a well-earned pension and social security. Ask any struggling middle-class family now how confident they are that they (or their children and grandchildren) will even be able to achieve retirement, never mind a comfortable, secure one. Look at the continuing burdens and risks the middle class is expected to shoulder via loss of defined pension plans, 401k plans (subject to the whims and follies of Wall Street), the continuing increased cost of health care, college education, and rising energy costs. How much uncertainty, risk and cost can the middle class continue to absorb? The buffer between ”middle class” and bankruptcy/poverty is a very fine line.

Having received the highest benefit for over 20 years, the top 2% should also bear a higher share of the burden to resolve the budget crisis.

Rosemarie White
New Rochelle
A former member
Post #: 104
I found this article online in the New York Times: an op-ed piece by Paul Krugman called "The Unwisdom Of Elites". I think you'll find it an interesting read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/opinion/09krugman.html­

~ Mark Garcia
Rachel E.
user 11954175
Harrison, NY
Post #: 3
Mark, thank you for posting this. It does a very nice job addressing many of the myths articulated all too frequently.

I hope others will follow your lead and post other good articles, videos, etc. This is why we started with Meetup. I provides a forum for people to post, converse, and share ideas.

Thanks again, and thank you for for joining us last night!

Rachel