addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-leftarrow-right-10x10arrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1languagelaunch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinlockm-swarmSearchmailmediummessagesminusmobilemoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahooyoutube

Wheyward Bound Cheesemaking Club of Sonoma County Message Board › Local raw cheese making story on NPR

Local raw cheese making story on NPR

A former member
Post #: 1
I heard this local story on Quest NPR this morning and thought I'd share it with the group.
A former member
Post #: 1
Thanks for sharing that story. I am very interested in the whole raw milk issue. There is a lot competing information out in cyberspace. My own belief is that raw milk in general is a better product in all ways, but the producers must ensure that the milk is not contaminated.

I have read some interesting articles with studies that show when the cows are fed on organic grasses and not pumped up with antibiotics, there are enzymes and flora in the milk that will actually destroy any pathogens that are introduced to the milk. Organic Pastures has done a fair amount of work in this area.

Americans would flip out if Parmagiana Reggiano, Gruyere, and Roquefort were no longer available to them.
A former member
Post #: 3
I agree with all that, well said. And thanks Jen for the link, I had a listen to some of it. Paul Kindstedt's (PhD) cheesemaking book has a great chapter on the subject of milk and cheese safety with a good analysis of Raw Cheese v. Pasteurized Milk Cheese. Some of the research sited echoes what Tom said...raw milk cheeses show in some studies to be inherently safer than pasteurized milk cheeses due to native organisms in the raw milk...but only certain types such as hard aged cheese. Fresh and soft raw milk cheeses apparently are of more concern with the moisture and higher pH allowing for more microbial growth.