addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Windows Phone App Developer Group - DFW North Texas Message Board Nokia Outreach › Nokia Developer Outreach North Texas - April 2013 newsletter

Nokia Developer Outreach North Texas - April 2013 newsletter

Randall "texrat" A...
Keller, TX
Post #: 162
Greetings all,

(this has also been sent out via email)

Some of you are active in Windows Phone development, some working on it and some only peripherally interested or benefitting. These newsletters will be addressed to all of you but I will segment the content so that you can easily identify what affects you and skip over what doesn’t. But do take the time to read!

That said, let’s get to the good stuff.

Current/Beginning WP Coders

As many of you know, there are a lot of opportunities geared toward your success. Here are some updates:

DVLUP, our popular developer incentive program, continues to grow and add more rewards and challenges. Some of you are still not signed up though—I have to ask, why not? If you’re coding for Windows Phone, Nokia is here to recognize your work with some really nice rewards. You might as well take advantage! If there’s some hurdle in your way, I’m here to help you past it.
• Microsoft Tech Affiliate continues to offer you cash for your apps as well. Enter your apps here: http://www.mstechaffi...­. New month, new round of winners!
• For those outside of the DFW area, I’m still supporting you! However, we’ve just had a realignment of territories and my focus will change as a result. In addition to North Texas, I have Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming and South Dakota. I will likely be transitioning communities in other states to the Ambassadors who now manage them. Don’t worry, you’ll be in great hands!
• I still have Lumia 800s to give to developers getting their first app into the marketplace. Hit me up for details! As for those who already have published apps, ask me how you can still qualify. I want to get these Lumias out of my dusty storage bin and out to the community!
• People keep asking me where to start with Windows Phone. Well, after downloading the necessary tools, head over to https://www.developer...­ and register. You’ll find the most helpful mobile developer community on the planet. Our wiki and discussion forum are second to none!

• I want to thank everyone who attended our Mobile Monday event last month. It was nice to host something at the Nokia Irving office site, and it went better than I expected! I received some encouraging feedback about the open discussion format—rest assured this will be the default mode for similar workshops and sessions! I understand that some apps may come out of it—bonus! The presentation is here: http://www.slideshare...­
• Speaking of Irving, many of you know that I was working on bringing a National Day of Civic Hacking event to the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Unfortunately we failed to get a high degree of local engagement necessary, so we’re scaling down to a brainstorming session with the only city that stepped up: Irving. The event will be June 1 (possibly extending to June 2) and based on scaling down, the attendee list is already full. But feel free to join the waiting list just in case! We are also still open to mentors and general volunteers.
• Make sure you’re subscribing to my blog at­ to get article updates. I will be writing there more frequently going forward.
• Even if you’re not developing for Windows Phone, we can still work with each other. Some of you have hosted hackathons and know that I will be there to support you with participants, prizes and other resources. So make sure to keep me in the loop on your events! And if you have any other ideas how I can support you, let me know!
• Finally, if at any point you get interested in Windows Phone development, I am here to help you succeed!

For those who have been asking for new weekend meetups: I appreciate your patience as I have been talking to potential hosts. After checking around, I have come to the conclusion that Tom Thumb stores offer one of the best all-around venues. Surprising, eh? I am currently scoping out which ones are the best and making arrangements with managers. So far the one at 4010 N. MacArthur Blvd in Irving (near North Lake college) looks really nice with fast wifi, power outlets, seating for 35 and food+Starbucks. Hang tight for new “code and critique” meetups starting in about 2 weeks! Follow the twitter account below for timely meetup notices and other useful info.

Finally, please share this email and info about Nokia’s outreach to anyone you feel may be interested. I am especially looking to connect with more schools in the DFW area.

Thanks everyone, and remember: you can call or email me at any time with any question, concern or proposal. I will do my best to address your needs promptly!

Randall (Randy) Arnold
Nokia Developer Ambassador