addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
A former member
Post #: 3
Hello all,

I’m a fellow writer and the Communications Director at Gemini Ink. We’re a local non-profit literary arts organization with a mission to nurture writers and readers and build community through literature and the related arts. With our University Without Walls program, we offer fee-based workshops led by professional writers. We think y'all would especially be interested in the upcoming class, Writing Modern Horror, with homicide detective and horror writer (yes, horror writer!), Joe McKinney.

McKinney is a homicide detective for the San Antonio Police Department with a Master’s Degree in English Literature from UTSA. He is the author of Dead City (Kensington Publishing Corp., 2006) and Quarantined (Lachesis Publishing, 2009). McKinney has more than 30 horror, crime, and science fiction short stories published, and has received extensive professional training in disaster mitigation, forensics, and homicide investigation techniques. His upcoming novels include Apocalypse of the Dead, The Zombie King, Inheritance (all forthcoming from Kensington), and Lost Girl of the Lake (Bad Moon Books).

Here’s the class description:

Writing Modern Horror
Why isn’t your villain scary? Why do your characters seem flat, your setting dull? Why isn’t your meandering prologue a good beginning? Through a combination of lecture, discussion and in-class writing exercises, Joe McKinney’s one day seminar on writing modern horror will help you answer these questions and craft a story that will truly scare your audience. There is no required reading, but students should bring writing materials and have a general idea for a story they’d like to write. By the end of the day, the skeleton of that story idea will have some real meat on it.
Date: Saturday, April 10, noon – 5pm (short break included)
Where: Gemini Ink, 513 S. Presa, San Antonio, TX 78205
Limit: 12 Participants
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, April 7
CPE Credits: 4 Language Arts
Discounted Fee: $81
Patrick C.
user 11149843
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 4
I'm a very big horror fan. But my writing abilities is quite sloppy. I'm a radio tv and flim assoicates degree graduate (got it in 2003) who is more comfortable shooting and editing the horror movie then writing it. I'm more into the paranormal, living dead, Resident Evil, or weird japanese horror movies, then the homicide dectective stuff you mentioned. Like Law & Order murder cases on television were labeled overall "Drama" instead of "Horror" which is what sucks I suppose. I'm trying to save as much money as I can since I'm inbetween part time jobs while looking for a radio or talk radio station on-air position. Sounds tempting. But I'm more into the scary monster or living dead kind of horror

Thats is for me in this subject

See you later

Your Member
Patrick Church
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for the reply, Patrick. Joe has a few living dead type-stories he's written. He's a well-versed sci-fi/horror writer. But, I understand you're more behind-the-scenes, which is cool. Filming and editing have always interested me, I was a print journalism major but took video productions courses and instantly felt a connection there.

If you're still moderately interested, it doesn't hurt to apply for a scholarship to attend the class. Call Gemini Ink at 210.734.9673, and we'll help you sign up.