Join us this month for a combined Documentation Sprint at SaltConf18 (https://saltconf.com/) with our awesome sponsor, SaltStack (https://saltstack.com/)!
This is an excellent opportunity to get hands-on experience writing open source documentation. At this day-long event, you'll work alongside SaltStack Engineers to improve documentation for Salt (https://saltstack.com/salt-open-source/), the open source software for modern IT automation.
First time attending a doc sprint? Check out these resources to get a feel for what to expect:
- Write the Docs Portland Writing Day - http://www.writethedocs.org/conf/portland/2018/writing-day/
- 5 Lessons from the Open Help doc sprints - https://opensource.com/community/15/7/five-lessons-open-help-doc-sprints
This event is part of SaltConf18, the annual SaltStack User conference. If any group members are interested in attending the SaltConf18 welcome reception on Tuesday night (live music by the SaltStack house band), or the SaltConf18 main conference, please let us know and we can provide a guest pass. The full SaltConf18 agenda can be found here: https://saltconf.com/saltconf18-agenda/
Doc Sprint at SaltConf18 Agenda
10 am - Doc Sprint
12 noon - Lunch
1 pm - More Doc Sprint
4 pm - End of Sprint
Feel free to attend the full sprint, or just drop by for an hour or two! We'll have greeters standing by to get you up to speed on where you can contribute.
Please complete as much of the following as possible. Don't worry if you don't have it all!
- Install Git (if you have no prior experience with Git, please complete as much of this free course as possible beforehand - https://www.udacity.com/course/how-to-use-git-and-github--ud775)
- Install Sphinx - http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/
- Install a program to SSH into our Salt training environment (for Windows users), such as PuTTY (http://www.putty.org) or Cmdr (http://cmder.en.softonic.com)
- Explore the Salt project on GitHub - https://github.com/saltstack/salt
- Read about contributing Salt documentation - https://docs.saltstack.com/en/latest/topics/development/conventions/documentation.html
Questions? Please contact an organizer:
- Ashley Newton
- Kyle Rollins
- Alyssa Rock
*If you have trouble installing Git, Sphinx, or PuTTY, please contact an organizer for help at least 24 hours before the doc sprint.