Git the Docs: Learning Git in a safe space
Learning Git for the first time can be intimidating, especially for non-developers. When I first learned Git, I did it the hard way (mostly using Google and StackOverflow). And I hated it. It was confusing, and it seemed like a necessary evil. But it doesn't have to be that way!
This hands-on workshop will teach you the basics of using a Git-based workflow for writing and editing documentation from the point of view of a technical writer. You'll learn the following skills:
• Command line basics
• Using repository software (e.g., GitHub/Bitbucket)
• Git workflow (branch, add, commit, push, create a PR)
• Keeping your local repo in sync
• Handling a basic merge conflict
This workshop requires you to:
• bring your own computer
• install some software before attending
• macOS (https://bitbucket.org/toddbecky/learn-git/src/f32515e1b1e987d6dc8552472bb0d24607f55da3/SETUP-MAC.md?fileviewer=file-view-default) setup
• Windows (https://bitbucket.org/toddbecky/learn-git/src/f32515e1b1e987d6dc8552472bb0d24607f55da3/SETUP-WIN.md?fileviewer=file-view-default) setup
• set up an account on Bitbucket (https://bitbucket.org/)
Further details and instructions will be sent to all attendees a couple of weeks before the meetup date.
Hope you can join us!
About the speaker
The workshop will be led by Becky Todd (https://twitter.com/beckatodd?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor), a Senior Developer Experience Writer at Atlassian.