Location visible to members
[masked] Calgary Ski Club Jackrabbits Program
Cross Country Ski Lessons for Children
Coordinator: Cross Country Ski Lessons Director, [masked]
Days: Most Saturdays, December 2016 to March 2017. See schedule further below
- for lessons in the city - start time: 10:00 AM
- for lessons in the mountains - start time: 11:00 AM (unless otherwise specified)
- Bunnyrabbits' lessons: 1 hour, with an option to extend to 1.5 hour
- Jackrabbits' and Track Attack's lessons: 1.5 hours
Step 1: CSC "Family" Membership: $65 annually. On the CSC homepage (https://calgaryskiclub.org/), click either Join Now or Renew. -- Note: If your annual membership is currently valid, then proceed to Step 2 or Step 3 as appropriate; then, renew your CSC membership later when it expires.
Step 2: CSC's Meetup Group: Free. If you do not already have a Meetup account, then click here (http://www.meetup.com/YYCSkiClub/) and create an account. Please be patient. This can take some time to approve as our administration needs to match your Meetup account with your CSC Membership. This process will be quicker if your Meetup account is similar (user name, email address, etc.) to your CSC Membership.
Step 3: Jackrabbits Registration: This webpage.
Registration Cost: $120 per child
- When registering you only need to register your child / children.
- When RSVP'ing:
- if you are registering 1 child, then select "Only me"
- if you are registering 2 or more children, then select "+1 guest", etc.
Step 4: Parent's Volunteering Bond: $200 per child. See further below for volunteering details.
Step 5 (Optional): Ski Equipment Rental: Damage deposit only. There is no other rental fee. See further below.
Bunnyrabbit (ages 4-5): introduce cross country skiing, movement skills (with a focus on balance and agility), coordination, self confidence, imagination and social skills. A parent must remain with Bunnyrabbits under the age of 5 at all times.
Jackrabbit (ages 6-9): learn basic cross country ski skills, develop fundamental movement skills, build overall motor skills, confidence and social skills, and encourage fun and participation.
Track Attack (ages 10-12): learn the skating technique, become technically competent cross country skiers, further develop and refine all the cross country ski skills, develop skills, speed, power and aerobic fitness, develop strength and flexibility as well as good ski habits.
Locations: Lessons will be in a variety of locations; specific locations will be announced.
- In-city locations could include: Shaganappi Golf Course and possibly Canada Olympic Park (COP)
- Out-of-city locations could include: Banff National Park; Kananaskis Country; Canmore Nordic Centre, West Bragg Creek
Tentative Schedule (depending on snow conditions):
*NEW* Wed. Nov. 23, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Ski equipment sorting - Jackrabbits Equipment Manager with helpers
*NEW* Sat. Nov. 26, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Pick-up ski equipment for your Jackrabbit(s) - Opportunity #1 at CSC's storage
*NEW* Wed. Nov. 30, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Pick-up ski equipment for your Jackrabbits(s) - Opportunity #2 at CSC's storage
1: Dec. 3 @ during CSC's WinterStart Weekend - near Lake Louise; specific location TBD
- * FINISHED* Optionally, book a room, though CSC, at Lake Louise Inn (http://www.meetup.com/YYCSkiClub/events/234769906/) at a discounted price for WinterStart. If you have CSC Points, then you can use them towards your payment.
- Optionally, register for other activities at WinterStart (http://www.meetup.com/YYCSkiClub/events/234769402/).
- *UPDATE* CSC's chartered bus (https://www.meetup.com/YYCSkiClub/events/235704457/) is cancelled because of insufficient registrations.
2: Dec. 10 @ location TBA
* NEW* Wed. Dec. 14, 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Ski care and wax clinic (https://www.meetup.com/YYCSkiClub/events/235704415/) hosted by CSC
3: Dec. 17 @ Canmore Nordic Centre
4: Jan. 7 @ Canmore Nordic Centre
5: Jan. 14 @ location TBA
6: Jan. 21 @ location TBA
7: Jan. 28 @ Canmore Nordic Centre
8: Feb. 4 @ location TBA
9: Feb. 11 @ location TBA
Feb. 18 NO LESSON - Family Day Long Weekend
Feb. 25 NO LESSON - FNSC Cookie Race in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park
10: Mar. 4 @ location TBA
Sun. Mar. 5 Calgary Ski Club's Annual Lake Louise Loppet
11: Mar. 11 @ location TBA
12: Mar. 18 - Family Fun Day @ location TBA
CSC is a volunteer-run organization. In order for us to continue to deliver high quality programs, we offer opportunities for you to volunteer.
CSC has volunteering requirements for the parent(s) of each child registered in the Jackrabbits Program. Parents must volunteer for one shift per registrant (min 4 hours per shift) from the following list.
RSVP: Email [masked] ([masked]) and indicate your preference of volunteer shift(s). You can change your choice later if required.
- Ski Sale (click here (http://www.skisale.ca)) - Oct. 19-23, 2016
- Jackrabbits Director (click here (http://public.propellus.org/VolunteerOpportunities/OpportunityListing/tabid/70/posid/032c7720-3889-e611-b0c8-005056a67764/Default.aspx))
- Coach or be an Assistant Coach in the Jackrabbits Program (click here (http://public.propellus.org/VolunteerOpportunities/OpportunityListing/tabid/70/posid/47b78b84-3089-e611-b0c8-005056a67764/Default.aspx))
- Assist with grooming and tracksetting the cross country ski trails at Shaganappi Golf Course (RSVP to [masked] )
- Tend the CSC table or booth at one event: e.g. Ski Sale, MEC Snow Fest, Lilac Festival, Marda Gras, etc.
- Casino - Mon. Feb. 20, 2017
- Lake Louise Loppet (Sun. Mar. 5, 2017; setup in the days beforehand)
To ensure volunteer participation, CSC requires parents to provide a volunteer bond of $200 per child registered in the Jackrabbits program. Provide either a cheque deposit (post-dated April 1, 2017) for $200 per Jackrabbit, or a credit card number which CSC will hold until volunteering is complete. If volunteering is not fulfilled by April 30, 2017, then the cheque will be cashed, or the credit card will be charged. A Coordinator of Volunteers will help you track your hours/shifts and volunteering deposit. FURTHER DETAILS ARE FORTHCOMING.
Coaching or Assisting:
Click here to read the Jackrabbits Coaches ad (http://public.propellus.org/VolunteerOpportunities/OpportunityListing/tabid/70/posid/47b78b84-3089-e611-b0c8-005056a67764/Default.aspx), which is posted on Propellus' website. If you are interested in coaching Jackrabbits please RSVP to [masked] . Note: Coaching or being an Assistant Coach are also ways to fulfill volunteer requirements while spending time with your Jackrabbit.
Ski Equipment Rental:
CSC offers season-rental of ski equipment on an as needed, first-come first-serve basis to kids ages 4-12 in the Jackrabbits Program. You simply need to provide a damage deposit when you pick up the equipment. There is no other rental fee. Ski equipment pickup will occur in November. CSC does not have skis for adults. If you are interested in renting equipment please email [masked] and include your child's:
- European ski boot size
Cancellation of Lesson:
CSC reserves the right to alter the schedule, or combine classes depending on registration levels, weather, and availability of coaches. The Jackrabbit coaches will cancel practice if the temperature is colder than –18 Celsius (with wind chill).