addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Philadelphia Atheists Meetup Message Board Philosophy and Critical Thinking › Are we really thinking freely?

Are we really thinking freely?

A former member
Post #: 6

The debate is not really between Science and Religion, the debate has always been between Realism and Idealism... ...Idealism is the alternative to both.

Hi Chuck. Welcome to the conversation.

I do not see how if the debate is between idealism and realism, then idealism is the alternative to both.

cheers,

Pablo.
A former member
Post #: 8
I am coming to the discussion late. I am new =)

(Hey Janice!) We have met before...

Sorry.. anyway. I respect that you believe we should be critical of ourselves. I agree. Perhaps we should be able to let go of any theories or ideas without feeling vulnerable, but the truth is we are human. That is unlikely to be true until we shed emotion completely. I believe most intelligent people who could also be classified as free thinkers, would surrender to sufficient evidence to a contrary idea. The problem is what is sufficient for you is not always sufficient for another. I would argue that the more and more thier ideas are challenged the more information or evidence is required to change thier perspective. I know this is sort of off your primary topic but it was the one point I though of.

I think people were so in awe of Dawkins is because of celebrity, not because of a psuedo-religious belief. Of course this popularity can be easily changed to a sort of cult mentality so i think it is wise for those people to remain skeptical as always. =)
A former member
Post #: 15
>>What is it in human nature that religion seems to cater to?

Ultimate validation. If god thinks I'm ok then I really am. (How can I accept judgement from just 'humans' when they're basically the same as me.)