addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Philadelphia Atheists Meetup Message Board Philosophy and Critical Thinking › The Critical Importance of Critical Thought

The Critical Importance of Critical Thought

A former member
Post #: 66
The Wikipedia's entry on critical thinking ( http://en.wikipedia.o...­ ) describes critical thinking as "purposeful reflective judgement concerning what to believe or what to do." To me this means, exercising my right to strongly question the validity/truth of any information that i receive. If you tell me there is a personal goddess, or god, i need some concrete varification. I will not accept information like a faithful mental slave. i need proof.

The Wikipedia entry goes on to say, "Critical thinking examines assuptions, discerns assumptions, discerns hidden values, evaluates evidence, and assesses a conclusion." For me, this is about, what i call, the virtue of distrust. The virtue of asserting personal control over information that is received. This virtue is about asserting the importance of using varification in finding truth. To the critical-thinker, truth can not be found from faith, or wishful thinking. Truth about this material reality needs to be found by critical investigations, and creative engagement.

Best wishes and efforts, Scotty
A former member
Post #: 331
I want to add that critical thought needs to be advocated for by confronting the foolishness/idiocy of belief without evidence (faith). Faith does not help anyone to develop solid happiness. Resilient happiness and fulfillment can only be earned by a mind that is strong and has very high standards for any thing that is to held to be true. I believe in having very high standards of belief and awareness. I also believe in trying my best to make things evident and more capable/joyous in this world.

Thanks for reading.

Best wishes and efforts, Scott(y)

P.S.: Legalize marijuana