On Sunday we are going to explore the Waipu Coastal Walk. This coastal Rock formation is very similar looking to the Punakaiki Pancake rocks on the West Coast of the South Island. Will have time to explore around the Rocks at low tide. After completing this will drive 20min. to Mangawhai Heads to explore the Goldschmidt Panorama Walk.
Duration: Hike is about 5½ hours, including stops
Distance: around 12km
Speed: Medium pace
- grade 2½
- Main difficulty is the rough uneven coastal track which can be slippery.
- There are a few steep hills.
Important Notes & Updates:
- You are responsible for your own safety & preparation, and keeping up with medium pace of middle of group.
Requirements to attend this meetup:
* To help simplify things, to attend this meetup you need to:
-- Be a member of Auckland Hiking Group; do not bring guests.
-- RSVP Yes on time.
-- Complete both hikes at medium pace with group okay.
- Victoria Park New World (https://goo.gl/maps/mNHqEjw7EC32) is our main meeting place for carpooling. We'll gather below the steps outside the main Scotland Street entrance on the sharp corner with College Hill. (If you haven't met us there before you can read more details here (http://www.meetup.com/auckland-hiking/pages/Meeting_at_Victoria_Park_New_World).)
Driving from New World:
-Waipu Cove, 901 Cove Rd. (https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/Scotland+St,+Freemans+Bay,+Auckland+1011/901+Cove+Rd,+Waipu+0582/@-36.438321,174.3538671,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d0d478d67190665:0x454af176fb32a269!2m2!1d174.751149!2d-36.8489457!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d0c914753d85d9d:0x4ef486d3c49c2643!2m2!1d174.5068105!2d-36.029456)Gather somewhere visible near the public Toilets.
Driving to 2nd Hike:
- Mangawai Heads Carpark 147 Wintle St. (https://www.google.com/maps/dir/901+Cove+Road,+Waipu/147+Wintle+Street,+Mangawhai+Heads/@-36.0582797,174.5161597,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d0c914753d85d9d:0x4ef486d3c49c2643!2m2!1d174.5068105!2d-36.029456!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d0c95920a7791a3:0xfe57b96018b2ea64!2m2!1d174.5956325!2d-36.0807182?hl=en) is where we meet for start of the 2nd hike. Again use the toilets while waiting.
Transport and Carpooling:
- Carpooling will be arranged for everyone meeting at New World after arriving there (transport permitting; you can read more details here (http://www.meetup.com/auckland-hiking/pages/Transport_and_Carpooling)).
- If you want a ride from New World there's no need to arrange this in advance: just answer the RSVP questions.
- Best if most drivers meet at New World first.
- If you can offer rides or want a ride from a different location you can mention this in Conversation below then contact each other to arrange your own carpooling.
- Each carpool passenger from New World needs to give $25 to driver for day hike. Bring exact change.
- Road Toll of $2.30 applies - each way.
- 08:45 - Good time to arrive at New World, meet & greet
- 09:00 - Latest time to arrive at New World, arrange carpooling
- 09:05 - Leave New World
- 10:45 - Arrive at Waipu Cove, 901 Cove Rd. carpark.
- 10:45 - As you arrive use the toilets before hike starts.
- 10:50 - Introductions
- 10:55 - Start hike
- 11:46 - Low Tide
- 14:45 - Drive to 147 Wintle St.Mangawhai
- 17:00 - Approx. Finish
- Refreshments at the Mangawhai Tavern (https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/147+Wintle+Street,+Mangawhai+Heads/Mangawhai+Tavern+2+Moir+St,+Mangawhai+0505/@-36.1031991,174.566304,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d0c95920a7791a3:0xfe57b96018b2ea64!2m2!1d174.5956325!2d-36.0807182!1m5!1m1!1s0x6d0c953ea55bfde7:0x7412f6022f1d3972!2m2!1d174.580457!2d-36.123793) (optional)
- 19:00 - Approx return to city
- Waipu Costal Walkway (http://wdc.govt.nz/FacilitiesandRecreation/WalksTrails/Documents/Waipu-Coastal-Walkway.pdf)
- Goldschmidt Panorama Walk (https://mangawhaiwalking.co.nz/goldschmidt-panoramic-walk/)
- lunch and drink + additional snack food
- good clean footwear suitable for costal rock and muddy tracks.
- clothing suitable for autumn.
- rain protection
- sun protection
- additional clean clothing & footwear to change into after hike
- first-aid items (at least for cuts and scratches)
- cash ($25 if carpool passenger + optional extra for refreshments)
Additional Notes: (NOTE EARLY START)
- 9:00am is the latest time to arrive at New World. We aim to leave New World and start hike exactly on time. We are unlikely to wait for late people. Arriving early is good :-)
- It is safer and generally more fun to hike together as a group. We aim to do this with stops at track junctions and other points for group to regather. However, there's no guarantee this will happen so prepare well for this hike in case you become separated from group.
- There are toilets at Waipu and Mangawhai Heads. Use them before the meet and greet.
- When you RSVP, you need to answer the following multi-choice question ...
(1) What is your transport situation for carpool from New World?
-- (A) have transport, can offer rides
-- (B) will bring transport, can drive if needed but prefer a ride
-- (C) need a ride
-- (D) not meeting at New World, going direct to Waipu Beach car park.
- When you RSVP, you will normally be prompted to answer the question.
- If you are not prompted to answer, try to change/update your RSVP. If this doesn't work for you on app, try website.
- If you can't find any way to answer the questions when you RSVP, then message your answers to Karl (https://www.meetup.com/auckland-hiking/members/194653081/).
It is important to be well prepared. Before we meet.
- Know how to get to all meeting places (even if you won't be driving, you may need to help navigate) and set up GPS if you have one.
- Study hike details & maps well enough so you are sure you can complete hike on your own if you need to (in case you become separated from group).
- Prepare everything you need to bring (if you need anything from supermarket then arrive early).
- If you might be driving, have car fuelled and ready to go.
RSVP / Are you Going?
If you are interested to attend:
- Answer the RSVP questions as required when you RSVP;
- If you decide later not to attend, change your RSVP to No;