addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Austin Knitting and Crocheting Meetup Group Message Board Help! › Help I can't get the right gauge!

Help I can't get the right gauge!

A former member
Post #: 2
I am new to knitting and trying to follow a pattern for the first time. I knitted a sample to check gauge and I can't get it right. The gauge is 14 st = 4" and 24 rows = 4". I end up with 14 st = to 4" but the 24 rows only = 3". If I use a bigger needle I'll end up with more than 4" across. I don't have the same yard it calls for so I'm thinking that's my problem. The yard says that 15s x 22s with #8 needles will yield a 4" square. I used #8 needles, knitted 14s x 24s and got a 4" x 3" rectangle.

What am I doing wrong? I'm getting somewhat frustrated!
Jeannette
user 9112828
Austin, TX
Post #: 1
You don't say how you're checking gauge. If the pattern is knit flat, check gauge that way; if it's knit in the round, check gauge in the round.

If you're getting gauge on the rows, but not the length, you are probably knitting or purling too tight. Does your work look even? That is, do you see a difference in the look of the knit and purl stitches? It's not uncommon to have one stitch (k or p) tighter than the other. You can check by doing a swatch all knit and one all purl and check the difference.

A former member
Post #: 3
Thank you for your response!

I knit a swatch, all knitting. I think the pattern calls for stockinette (which if I remember right is alternating purl and knit?) I will try knitting a new swatch in stockinette. I was hoping to do the pattern in all knit just because I think that would be easier for me on my first pattern. I really like this vest pattern though and want to make it for my mom.

I am going to try to make it to the Barnes and Knoble meet up tonight but am not sure I'll be able to.

Thanks again.
Shannan