addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Baltimore Book Club Meetup Group Message Board › Who wants more than one meeting a month?

Who wants more than one meeting a month?

A former member
Post #: 1,080
Well folks, despite my efforts to meet everyone's needs and schedule a 2nd meet-up and despite the fact that 8 people had current yes RSVP's when I left for Timonium, only 4 people attended today's discussion. I am very grateful to Jim, Denise, and Julia for a thoughtful conversation about Blue Shoe. However, I am disappointed that the turn-out was not higher, especially since 18 people voted to say that they wanted a second meeting. I just don't think it is worth my or anyone's efforts to organize a meeting if there is not a desire for it. If there is not a desire for it, then why did so many people vote for it? It would seem that there are about 300 members who can't attend the regular Tuesday meeting, so where are you?

Please post below on your thoughts about continuing with a second meeting.

Let me just add that the RSVP situation with this group has been a bit absurd. I don't know the exact numbers, but I don't think there has ever been a meeting when everyone who said they would attend actually shows up. Everyone is busy and has stuff come up, but this occurs way too frequently to be a result of emergencies. Please try to be more respectful, not just to the organizer, but to other members who would like to attend, but can't because the meet-up is full.
A former member
Post #: 11
we do need another meeting. The first is always full. Just be patient with it and i think that you need to post both meetings at the same time so when people sign up they can sign up for either one. I voted for it but did not sign up or come because i had not read the book. I agree, people do need to be more respectful of those rsvp.
A former member
Post #: 1
I too like the 2nd meeting a month - it's nice to have the option of two different dates/times. And I agree that the RSVP should be a little more certain - it really isn't fair to those who do want to attend but can't because the group is full.
A former member
Post #: 2
I also support a second group and am sorry to hear it wasn't as heavily attended as anticipated. Now that both groups are up and running, posting both dates and meetings times at the same time would be great. I think as the practice of the second group catches on, attendance will pick up.
A former member
Post #: 1,084
Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just some folly of mine!

The problem with simulposts is that meet-up automatically schedules the regular meet-up. But I can post the 2nd one in advance so that both options are available. I guess I'll go for the Sunday following the regular meet-up again. I'll post it later today.
A former member
Post #: 1,099
Obviously, I did not post a second meet-up. Gary has suggested that the summer attendance usually drops and that maybe we should wait until the fall. So I'm OK with that. But if someone else is passionate about it and wants to organize a second meet-up for May, I imagine Gary can make you an Assistant Organizer. Or the Organizer . . . since we are going to need a new one.
cool