How to get to the location
The entrance is on Charlottenstr.
Enter the building through a big gate. Someone should be there to open the gate for you. If there's noone there, please call this number: +49 151 2812 8966.
Once inside, you must go to MS Ventures which is on the 5th floor. There is another door upstairs; again someone will be (hopefully) there to open it up for you.
Our schedule for this time:
1. Classifying galaxies with deep learning (Sander Dieleman (https://reslab.elis.ugent.be/sander), 45min)
Deep learning has become a very popular approach for solving computer vision problems in recent years, with record-breaking results in object classification and detection. In this talk we'll explore a different but related application: galaxy morphology prediction. By automatically classifying galaxies based on their shape, astronomers can come to new insights about their origin and their distribution in space. We'll take a closer look at the convolutional neural network that won the Galaxy Zoo Challenge on Kaggle.
2. Italian street food by Jamme Ja (https://www.facebook.com/jammeja.de), and drinks (thanks Zanox and DSR)
3. word2vec (Benjamin Wilson, 45min)
This talk will include:
• an overview of the CBOW and skip-gram architectures,
• a description of hierarchical softmax and negative sampling, in understandable terms
• an explanation the "additive compositionality" of the resulting vectors, i.e. why it's not so surprising that vec['france'] - vec['paris'] = vec['germany'] - vec['berlin']
• a quick overview of how to use the available implementation + perhaps some fun applications.
About our hosts: Data Science Retreat (http://datascienceretreat.com/) (DSR)
Data Science Retreat is the only data science course in the world with chief-data-scientist-level mentors. DSR helps coders or people with significant quantitative training (e.g. science, engineering, or math graduates) ramp-up rapidly for a data science career - arguably the fastest-growing, highest-demand profession.
DSR is a 3-month, in-person, rigorous, and full-time/intensive course in the startup-capital of Europe: Berlin. You’ll learn software engineering, data science, business analysis and communication faster and more deeply with mentors doing code reviews and pair-programming - all on real-world data and problems. You will develop a portfolio project, demonstrating you can own a business problem, solve it, and communicate why your results are definitive.
You bring your training, tuition, and drive to master our curriculum alongside our world-class mentors and partners. Towards the end we provide a networking event with top-tier technology companies, where you will show off your new skills and portfolio project, likely leaving with a career-changing job.
Have an interesting topic you want to talk about?
We're always looking for interesting presentations for our meetups. If you have a topic you're excited about and you want to talk about, maybe between 15 and 45 minutes, then send a short abstract to daniel.nouri gmail.com. Thanks!