The Lightning Network is an exciting ongoing development for the Bitcoin space. A promising protocol to improve the scalability and speed of Bitcoin, the LN will be presented in this talk by a developer familiar with the technology. The talk will briefly review the Bitcoin protocol and summarize the basic ideas behind the LN, followed by space for questions and a discussion.
Some questions that we'll attempt to answer:
• What is the Lightning Network?
• How does LN build on top of the Bitcoin protocol?
• Does LN help Bitcoin's scalability issues?
• Why pursue off-chain scaling?
• What does it mean to run a LN node?
• What is the current status of the LN?
The speaker is Henrik Jonsson, who is following the LN protocol and working on Bitcoin-related tech. Henrik has contributed to Bitcoin Core development, as well as earlier working for financial startups as well as for Google.
• Info about Henrik: https://hkjn.me
• Explainer series by Aaron van Wirdum: https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/understanding-the-lightning-network-part-building-a-bidirectional-payment-channel-1464710791/
• Community site: https://dev.lightning.community/
• LN protocol specifications: https://github.com/lightningnetwork/lightning-rfc
• Original LN paper: https://lightning.network/lightning-network-paper.pdf
Language of this meetup (talk and Q&A): English
FabLab (http://fablabbcn.org) Carrer de Pujades, 102, Barcelona
As always, entrance is free provided you have RSVPed.
May,[masked] -> 19.00h - 21.00h
After 21.00h - Beers and more discussion at the Chinese bar on the corner.