addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

B'more on Rails Message Board › It's time to reboot the Open Source Hack Night!

It's time to reboot the Open Source Hack Night!

Flip S.
flipsasser
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 4
Hello Baltimore Rubyists!

After a long-ish hiatus, we're trying to bring back the Open Source Hack Nights. After some brief discussions, it sounds like getting together to do a CodeRack submission or two is the best way to get started.

First! Since not everyone is a Rackstar, it may be worthwhile to start out with an intro to some of the basics of Rack for anyone who missed Chris Strom's excellent talk a few months ago. A 5 to 10 minute overview should suffice. Feel free to volunteer.

Second! Consider this message an open call for ideas. We want to have at least two or three concepts before we meet so our time won't be spent screwing around trying to agree on projects. I realize that getting a group of programmers to agree on something is a challenge, but this is for the community, man. So let's start putting some ideas out there.

Third! I'll be hosting the event at the Beehive. I'm open to providing pizza and/or beer, depending on who wants what - just let me know. Anyone willing to contribute will make me a happy guy.

SO! Let's get started. My first idea is a middleware that generates and caches thumbnails of uploaded images. I'm sure the Baltimore ruby community is more creative than that, so let's hear your ideas.

And that's all I've got.

Flip
Greg G.
user 2590830
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 1
This would be awesome, count me in.

I was recently working on a Rails app that shared a database with another Rails app, but had different functionality/routes/etc for the controllers, views, etc. We didn't have much time to put something concrete in place, but I was thinking it would be cool if there was a plugin that let you adapt the code from one app to another, maintaining a shared schema that both apps can work with...just an idea.
Flip S.
flipsasser
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 5
Sweet! That's an interesting problem. How did you guys ultimately solve it? Locking? Maybe an "immutable" plugin would solve it...
John T.
jtrupiano
San Diego, CA
Post #: 10
Sounds similar to SSO.

Something I've been thinking about is writing some middleware capable of conditional proxying. One use case would be configuring virtual hosts at the rack layer (instead of in the web server). It would make your app suite more portable instead of tying you to apache, nginx, etc.

I imagine this falls somewhere between difficult and impossible. I think the Rack spec only allows you to specify a single application in the stack...I'm not sure it will be simple to define multiple endpoints. In any case, I'd be interested in exploring it.
John T.
jtrupiano
San Diego, CA
Post #: 11
Flip, have you selected a date and time?
Flip S.
flipsasser
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 6
I have no preference on date/time, so I leave it open to everyone else. I'd like the Open Source Hack Nights to be a frequent event, but obviously that will depend on participation.

Since we do the meetups on the 2nd Tuesday, the 4th Tuesday makes some sense. I know some people can't make the Tuesday meetups so any other day is an option. What would you guys like to see?
Chris S.
eee.c
Group Organizer
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 16
Thanks for rebooting this! I was sad to see it flounder, so it's awesome seeing it making a comeback.

We polled folks a while back and the 4th Tuesday was the preferred date: http://www.meetup.com/bmore-on-rails/polls/190217/­. Not saying that it can't be another day, just that 4th Tues. has some merit.

-Chris
Flip S.
flipsasser
Baltimore, MD
Post #: 7
Done! Tuesday the 24th will be the next Open Source Hack Night. CodeRack ends a week before, though, so we'll need to find something else to work on. John usually has 1,000 suggestions.

Things I'd like to work on:

1. Extending the Geokit gem to support MySQL Spatial Extensions / OpenGIS querying. This would dramatically increase the gem's performance.
2. Fixing up my own mini-projects, like RailSchedule or QuerySet 2.0.
3. Integrating Reek w/Bullet.

If there's something you guys would like to learn more about, mention it here! The best way to learn is to hack.