addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

a ne{o}lit book club Message Board › next book - gothic?

next book - gothic?

Aram S. O.
user 4498983
Twinsburg, OH
Post #: 5
Last night, it was suggested that for our next book, we read something like Turn Of The Screw by James.

I would like to suggest that we read something a bit more accessible &/or contemporary, still in the gothic sphere. Something like:

• The Last Wearwolf by Glen Duncan
  • World War Z by Max Brooks (I mentioned this one)
  • The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins
  • The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy by Guillermo Del Toro (mentioned by Michelle)

I think that perhaps we should focus on works that are a bit more accessible to many different kinds of readers, especially if it's "gothic" fiction, which very often has a more "pulpy" flavor to it.

--Aram
Raymond N. R.
user 16430741
Bay Village, OH
Post #: 1
I don't know much about Turn of the Screw, though since it was published just a bit later than Mary Shelley's Frankenstein its certainly not terribly contemporary. I'm perfectly happy to follow Calvin's decrees as benevolent dictator, but I do agree that variety of tone is a good thing, and we've been doing some fairly heavy lifting for awhile.
Calvin R.
cvan3064
Group Organizer
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 14
I actually prefer to do some heavy lifting with my reading as much as possible, but Im usually reading something light on the side.

Funny that you look at it in this sense Raymond, as I found the last two months a wonderful break from the string of fluff we had read.

So yeah, It's Turn of the Screw.
Raymond N. R.
user 16430741
Bay Village, OH
Post #: 2
Since I've only been to 3 meetings so far, I'm sure I lack your perspective on this. Part of my reason to join a book club was to read some stuff that was more demanding than what I usually read as well, so I guess I'm just a hypocrite. Perhaps my reading muscles have atrophied a bit from years of misuse, and it's taking awhile to build them up again. In any case, Turn of the Screw it is!