addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Boston Atheists Meetup Group Message Board › Agnostic vs Gnostic - Interesting discussion

Agnostic vs Gnostic - Interesting discussion

Nicholas
NickName
Boston, MA
Post #: 2
I think Neil deGrasse Tyson has brought more spotlight on the differences between 'agnostic' and 'gnostic' and I think it makes for some interesting discussion.

How do you identify? I would just say I am an atheist typically, but if I considered further I would probably say agnostic atheist. If we can't prove an invisible, silent, odorless, touch-less manticore is not in your house next to you right now, then should we accept that no matter how close to 99.99...% we can get to proving the manticore does not exist, we would have to apply that same logic to the most ambiguous definition of a "supreme being"?

Here is how I understand these definitions in short hand.

I suppose with my background I like applying numerical values for logical reasons at times. (engineering/mathematics)

Agnostic Atheist - You believe there is as much as 99.99...% chance that there is no supreme being.
Gnostic Atheist - You know for a fact there is no "supreme being"

Agnostic Theist - You believe there is as much as 99.99...% chance that there is a supreme being.
Gnostic Theist - You believe for a fact that there is a "supreme being"

Any thoughts on the matter?