What: Boston (well, Cambridge) Edition of the 2014 Global Windows Azure Bootcamp (http://global.windowsazurebootcamp.com/)
Where: this event is at NERD (go to the 11th floor), with a parallel event happening in Watertown - please sign up for one or the other! (There are also more than 100 other similar events happening all over the world on the same day.)
Whence: Saturday, March 29th, 2014 -- a day of learning about Windows Azure, with lots of hands on (you will bring a laptop)
Parking: Parking is available in the NERD building (enter from Memorial Drive side). It costs money (not sure amount - will update if I can get the info). Free parking can also potentially be found along Memorial Drive or on a local street. Give yourself a little extra time if you wish to do this, and realize it is not guaranteed. I've also heard of people parking inside of unattended MIT parking lots on the weekend, but this is unofficial, and doing so is at your own risk.
IMPORTANT NERD NOTE: NERD has a policy that all attendees are required to show government-issued ID to be admitted to the building.
Preparation: Please come prepared! Instructions are below. It is important to come prepared since getting set up is not terribly difficult, but it takes a while for things to run. This includes having an Azure account set up in advance. We will make use of this Azure account EARLY in the day and you will use it FREQUENTLY.
HOW DO I CONNECT THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA?
Twitter: #GWAB (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23GWAB) & #bostonazure (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bostonazure)
WHAT WILL THE DAY LOOK LIKE?
1. Doors open at 8:45 – fuel up with some food and coffee, get on the wifi, warm up your twitter account (#BostonAzure and #GWAB), and find a seat
2. Bootcamp activities begins promptly at 9:15 - Welcome / About The Day / Start Your Engines
3. Azure Content! - We will all deploy to Windows Azure very early in the day (so be ready!), and we’ll cover many topics (some briefly, some with labs): VMs, Web Sites, Cloud Services, Mobile Services, devops, …
4. ~ 12:30 – Lunch (pizza, provided – we will also have some vegetarian and vegan (no cheese) pizza options)
5. Back to Azure Content!
6. 5:30ish – wrap up content, next steps, SWAG (and, yes, have a LOT of SWAG)
7. 6:00pm – done!
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE DAY?
1. Windows Azure Account
To get the most out of the day you will need a functioning Windows Azure Account. If you have an MSDN subscription (Pro or higher), you may already have an account.
Try here for a FREE TRIAL: http://aka.ms/iaas
Feel free to download the Windows Azure Training Kit: Windows Azure Training Kit Download Page (http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/other-resources/training-kit).
2. Visual Studio + Azure Tools
Visual Studio 2012 or 2013, including Express.
The Windows Azure SDK which includes .NET development: http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/net/
Feel free to OPTIONALLY install other SDKs for other languages and tools:
· Node.js SDK - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/nodejs/
· JAVA SDK - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/java/
· Doing mobile? Android? iOS? Windows Phone or Windows 8? - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/mobile/
· PHP - http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/develop/php/
· Even more at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/documentation