Join your fellow cloud-ies at the Cambridge edition of the 2015 Global Azure Bootcamp (http://global.azurebootcamp.net/). Now in its third year, the Bootcamp brings together technologists at over 150 locations across the world for a day's worth of hands-on sessions focused on leveraging the capabilities of Microsoft Azure.
The Boston area will play host to two events - this one at at the Microsoft NERD Center (http://microsoftcambridge.com/) in Cambridge and another (http://www.meetup.com/bostonazure/events/221091339/)at Blue Metal Architects (http://www.bluemetal.com/) in Watertown.
Plan to bring your laptop and provision at least a free trial Azure account BEFORE you come to the event (see below for details). It is important to come prepared: getting set up is not terribly difficult, but it takes a while for things to run. Additionally, we'll make use of this account early in the day and frequently, so setting up ahead of time will allow you to get the most out of the event.
WHAT WILL THE DAY LOOK LIKE?
We don't know EXACTLY what the day will look like, but it will be something like the following. It is very likely that we will make changes, some sections will go over time, some will go under time, we may reorder talks, etc. But this is the plan at least.
• 8:45 AM - BREAKFAST - fuel up with some bagels and coffee, grab a seat, get on the wifi, warm up your twitter account (#GlobalAzure (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23globalazure) and #bostonazure (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bostonazure)).
• 9:10 AM - BEGIN - we will have a super-fast overview of the day, and get right into it
• 9:15 AM - Globally Coordinated Lab (and first cloud deployment of the day) - George Babey
• 10:00 AM - Internet of Things - Bob Familiar
• 10:45 AM - COFFEE BREAK - (we will provide coffee and some other beverages)
• 11:00 AM - Web Apps + Lab - Jason Haley
• 12:30 PM - LUNCH (at a minimum pizza will be provided – including vegetarian and vegan pizza options)
• 1:00 PM - Microservices and Seeing the Future - Mark Eisenberg
• 2:00 PM - Web Jobs + Lab - Jason Haley
• 3:00 PM - COFFEE BREAK - (we will provide)
• 3:15 PM - Streaming Media - George Babey
• 3:30 PM - Hidden Azure - Bill Wilder http://bit.ly/bostonazure-live-2015
• 4:30 PM - COFFEE BREAK - (we will provide)
• 4:45 PM - Intro to IaaS - Lab - Nazik Huq
• 6:00 PM - SWAG (lots of give-aways!)
HOW DO I PREPARE FOR THE DAY?
1. ***MOST CRITICAL*** Create a Microsoft Azure Account and activate a subscription!
To get the most out of the day you will need a functioning Azure account. If you have an MSDN subscription (Pro or higher), you may already have an account; otherwise, obtain a a FREE 1-Month TRIAL (http://aka.ms/iaas)
2. Install Visual Studio 2013. Download the Community Edition (https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs#DownloadFamilies_2) if you don't already have it installed.
3. Install the Windows Azure SDK for Visual Studio 2013 (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44938) development.
4. Optionally install other SDKs for other languages and tools (http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/)
5. In the event if you arrive at the bootcamp without completing the steps 2 through 4 listed above, you can spin up a VM with Visual Studio Community 2013 Edition already installed in Azure. Look for Visual Studio Community 2013 image template when you create a new VM in Azure.
HOW DO I CONNECT THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA?
Twitter: #GlobalAzure (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23globalazure) and #bostonazure (https://twitter.com/search?q=%23bostonazure)