addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

CFI Portland Meetup Group Message Board General › Why atheists are more "moral"

Why atheists are more "moral"

A former member
Post #: 24
An upcoming talk not in our vicinity

This week's talk will be given by Will Gervais from the University of Kentucky.

Title: Of Murderers and Missionaries: The Paradoxical Relationship Between Religion and Morality

Abstract: Many people see religious belief as inextricably tied to morality. For example, most Americans view belief in God as a necessary precursor for moral behavior. However, I'll present evidence from two lines of research that reveal seemingly contradictory perceptions of the link between religion and morality. On the one hand, those without religious beliefs are viewed as inherently immoral (or perhaps amoral), and participants view various moral transgressions as representative of atheists. On the other hand, when people think about good deeds (which are viewed as moral) motivated by religion (which is also viewed as moral), the good deed is viewed as oddly less moral than the same good deed performed for other reasons. Paradoxically, religion is viewed as necessary for morality, but religious motivations reduce the perceived morality of good deeds. This research ties neatly into recent independent research programs exploring the cognitive and evolutionary origins of both religion and morality.

SylviaB
SylviaB
Group Organizer
Portland, OR
Post #: 175
Thanks!

I googled it and could not find it.

Do you have a link?
A former member
Post #: 25
I was surprised google missed it; it's part of the Social Psychology seminar series at Indiana University and is happening tomorrow in the Psych building on campus. I got a notice on the "cognoscente" list. Gervais, of course, is googleable. Strap on your helmet, climb on your rocket bike, Sylvia, and you can make the talk tomorrow! '-)

I expect the substance will turn up on line (I don't mean a vimeo of you zipping eastward on your motorcycle ;-)