addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Chicago Area Homebirth Meetup Message Board Referrals › CNM recommendations?

CNM recommendations?

Kate K
user 14534436
Chicago, IL
Post #: 1
Hi guys!

I'm very grateful to have found this group. I am very early in my pregnancy (5 weeks) and I would like to have a home birth. I know for sure that I don't want a hospital birth. My sister had a very positive home birth experience with Home First in 2004. Other than my sister, everyone else I know gave birth in a hospital and every single one of them had a C-Section.

My husband understands my hesitancy to go the hospital route, but he has some reservations about home birth in our small condo! I'm hoping to see a CNM soon so that he can talk to her directly and address some of the concerns he has.

I sent an email to Hillary Kieser. I've heard good things about her and she is listed as in-network with my insurance provider, so I'm hopeful some of the costs might be covered. I haven't heard back from her yet, though. I may need to call.

I also know of Sarah Simmons and Debbie Boucher. Is there anyone else I'm missing?

Also, I know I would like a home birth, but are there any alternative birthing centers in the area? I just want to explore all my options.

Thanks!
Kate
A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Kate,

I gave birth last year with Jen ( who's moving to Canada), so I can't speak to the other midwives, though I've heard great things about both Hillary and Sarah.

What reservations does your husband have about the size of your apartment? Even a tub doesn't take up too much space and you (and by you, I mean someone else) can pump it out and deflate it immediately after the birth.

Our insurance is United Health Care through my husband's law school and it covered $1550 of the $3900 fee for prenatal care and the birth itself, plus a significant portion of the blood tests, etc. we had.

My understanding is that West Suburban is the most baby-friendly of the Chicago-area hospitals, followed by Swedish Covenant. There are stand-alone birth centers in Wisconsin, where the laws are less draconian.

Best of luck!

Cecily
Jo Anne L.
bestbirth
Evanston, IL
Post #: 272
Hi Kate - There are many things to take into consideration when having a baby. I cover everything from cost to birth to choices after baby is born in my private birth options consultations. In just an hour to an hour and a half parents learn many things it would have taken weeks to discover. In fact the process of having the conversation can be a pivotal experience for some. There are some things that you could never learn on your own. If you want to take advantage of my 16 years experience in the birth community just let me know. I love working with parents.

--
Peace on earth begins with birth and body work.

Jo Anne Lindberg MEd ABT
President & Founder
Childbirth & Family Wellness
Five Element Shiatsu
1555 Sherman Avenue #175 (mailing address only)
Evanston, IL 60201
847-733-8050

www.birthlink.com