addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Cleveland Freethinkers Message Board The Cleveland Freethinkers Discussion Forum General Discussions › "Interfaith" Interaction: Cleveland Dinner Dialogues

"Interfaith" Interaction: Cleveland Dinner Dialogues

Mark T.
user 4783078
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 497
The following may be of interest to some members-

From Katherine Ceicys, organizer of Cleveland Dinner Dialogues:

"I am helping to organize an interfaith event here in Cleveland called the Cleveland Dinner Dialogues.

The event will bring together groups of 8-10 people of different faiths or no faith to share dinner in someone's home and participate in a moderated conversation about the role of faith/beliefs in each person's life.

Groups will meet in homes all over the city on March 31st from 6:30-9/9:30pm. The goal of the event is to increase connections between people of all types of backgrounds.

InterAct Cleveland, a local nonprofit that supports interfaith initiatives, is the official local sponsor of the event, which is held in over ten cities nationally."

More information can be found on the Cleveland Dinner Dialogues website, and you can sign up there. Signup deadline for the March 31st events is March 15.

http://clevelanddinne...­

In addition, Katherine says:

"If you are able, please strongly consider hosting a dinner in your home. The meal can be simple."

Learn more about hosting: www.clevelanddinnerdialogues.org/faqs-for-hosts.php­

smile
Rafiq M.
RafiqMahmood
Bogor, ID
Post #: 472
...with everyone throwing their puddings at the atheist host? It could end up very messy.
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 100
I think this is a great idea and wish my house was up for it! First, it is an excellent opportunity for a couple reasons: WE need to be seen and heard, as individuals and as those representing a growing more open non theistic members of society. By participating in these intimate homey dinners and conversations, we will become more visible and listened to. I doubt there will be debates, as that is not the purpose of these gatherings. Although, I am sure it may come come up regarding having an equal place among other theistic faiths, however, this is good, because we will offer a firm, gentle (ha!) stance upon this issue. I am sure those not liking this, will just not attend.

There are InterFaith networks like the InterFaith Hospitality network, however, their focus is not about individual faiths, it is about helping the homeless. The Unitarian Universalists includes some FreeThinkers) are members of this network.

I don't think we should miss out on this opportunity!!. I'd love to know if anyone else from our group is interested in attending a dinner. Comment to this topic here so we can see if there is interest. I see each person can bring one guest, so 2 of us could go together, so as to not be the only FreeThinker at a dinner.
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 101
I signed up to be a Guest and bring 1 guest.

I guess it is just a one time event, whereas I was thinking it was an ongoing event. It would be good if a monthly group was formed from this idea.
Maude
MaudeL
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 11
I will go Suzy. I think this sounds like a good idea. I wonder though, if I should sign up separately and go to a different dinner so as to increase our exposure? But I don't mind going with you either, of course.

Maude
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 102
I'd gladly go with you, Maude. Let's see if we get anyone else interested first though. I think it would be good to get as much exposure as possible!! There should be at least one nontheist at each dinner!!! Hey, anyone else interested? Unless you volunteer to be the host/hostess, it doesn't cost anything and it would be so good to participate in this dialog!! So, if other fellow FreeThinkers s are voicing an interest in going, please state if you are going to sign up (as I have done, saying I will bring 1 guest) or if you want to come as a guest of another FreeThinker. Let's be represented!!!!

A former member
Post #: 4
I signed up to go. I don't know if we will get different ones or not. Wouldn't it be a hoot if only infidels attended one of the dinners and the host was the only religious one in the house?
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 103
Ha! John, now that would be fun. Wishful thinking.
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 104
I guess I assumed wrong when I thought more FreeThinkers would jump at the opportunity to be included at a free dinner, as an equal, with others of various "beliefs" and where there was a moderator making sure equal time and respect (?) was given to the attendees.

Maybe March 31st is just still too far in the future to commit?
Suzy W.
Suzylynn
Rocky River, OH
Post #: 112
There is still time to sign up for this event. Anyone interested besides, Maude, John and myself?

Personally, I think we will be out numbered, unless many Unitarian Universalists from the local churches sign up. We need to always have a place at the table!!! Free dinner, lol. tongue