addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Cleveland Game Developers Message Board Jobs, Professional & Project Opportunities › Game Development Software

Game Development Software

A former member
Post #: 20
Alex, it sounds like you have a lot of interesting information and opinions to offer, but I honestly have no idea what you said in either of your posts here. wink
A former member
Post #: 3
Alex, it sounds like you have a lot of interesting information and opinions to offer, but I honestly have no idea what you said in either of your posts here. wink

I certainly mean no offense, but I have to agree. I read through them twice and it sounds like there are the seeds of about half-a-dozen different discussions.

I like the effort of the Unity 3d package, but it falls so short to fulfill a need that will generate a positive cash flow. The Video Game Industry has shut the door to the outsiders, and even uses Angel and VC groups to steal ideas from those looking to get in. wink

I'll reply to the only paragraph I saw mentioning Unity. While I'm not sure why this falls so short on being able to generate positive cash-flow, I don't think this is the only need it could fulfill. For many of us out there, software like this can help ease the burden of working on small, less-educated, or even solo teams. It can help us realize a concept with limited knowledge and resources.

I don't know what "Angel" or "VC groups" refers to, but I don't know that I believe the video game industry has "shut the door to the outsiders". In fact, companies like Valve Software have been doing just the opposite; not only by releasing and supporting development tools, but by hiring dozens of outside "modders" over the past dozen years.
A former member
Post #: 1
I realize no one has participated in this thread in, seemingly, over a year, but I thought I'd some sideways information.

For anyone interested in taking a step into Unity, Cuyahoga Community College offers such a course, as part of their 3D design series of classes, called "Special Topics: 3D Game Design." The course is not directly affiliated with any particular certificate, but is more an elective one can take, utilizing tools learned from other 3D courses. One can enter the course with administrative permission without having taken any other 3D courses.

The course focuses on the fundamentals of the engine -- pipeline, some scripting, tools, etc. -- and forming a pipeline between the engine and 3DCG software through the use of hbx exports (primarily from Cinema 4D, the schools chosen software for the 3D program sequence).

Kent State University has a 3D Art and Video Game Design degree sequence which uses 3DsMax and Unreal Engine as their chosen software packages. I have no personal insight into the Kent program, having never taken any of those courses.

It would be nice if some folks would look into the Tri-C course. It often needs students, as a lack of interest forced a cancellation two semesters ago (when I originally tried to take it). It ran successfully last semester. I am signed up for the course this upcoming Fall semester (I am completing the 3D Design & Animation certificate as a "minor").

Here is the official description:

"Applied technical and aesthetic fundamentals of 3D simulation and game design. Emphasis on design and interaction of 3D assets to be used in instructional, environmental, promotional and entertainment simulations."

If anyone is interested, and would like me to contact the instructor for more information (since many of you are probably not in the sequence), post on my wall (or whatever it is, here) with your information and background related to the field.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the book length post.

George