addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcredit-cardcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

The Cleveland Game Developers Message Board The Cleveland Game Developers Discussion › Cuyahoga Community College, Unity3D course

Cuyahoga Community College, Unity3D course

A former member
Post #: 3
Hey,

Just repeating to everyone what I told to a few people, here on the forums.

Cuyahoga Community College offers a course covering the fundamental use of Unity3D as a part of a game design pipeline. The course is called "Special Topics: 3D Game Design," and it is an elective indirectly related to the 3D Design and Animation program sequence. One does not have to be in the program sequence to take the course.

While you do not have to be in the program sequence, it is required (as I newly found out) that students who take this course must also take the course "3D Design" concurrently. 3D Design covers the use of Cinema 4D (powerful and intuitive 3DCG software) in the creation of models and basic texturing, as well as basic lighting and composition.

The Game Design course is often desperate for students -- most of the 3D Design and Animation students are more interested in motion graphics -- and needs a minimum amount to avoid being canceled. It has successfully run two times of the three times it has been offered.

If you'd like me to contact the instructor for more information, just let me know on my wall thing.

Thanks,

George
Jim
Gymfuzz
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 18
I appreciate the information. I expect that one course would be hard enough for me to wedge into my schedule -- two may be impossible.

Jim
A former member
Post #: 4
I hear ya.

Anyone else who is interested, both courses can be taken entirely online (with access to a classroom once a week, if you choose or need direct, face-to-face assistance).

The courses are taught through a series of structured, original tutorial videos (remade every semester for that particular group). In addition to the main videos, the instructor is always available for face-to-face assistance, remote assistance and will often create custom tutorials to meet any needs personally required by you (if you had a hard time following something or you just want to attempt something that isn't a standard part of the current assignment). The coolest part of the video aspect is that you can save the videos for your own personal reference, busting them out any time you forgot exactly how to do something.

The weight of the workload is somewhat customizable, as well. That is to say, the complexity and difficulty of each assignment is a subjective decision on the part of the student. For example, one of the assignments of the 14 week version of the 3D Design class is to construct a robot using parametric primitives and a few of the tools you've learned from the previous assignments. A student may choose to make an elaborate, technically sound model, or a watered down version of a modeling puppet. If the work meets the requirement of the assignment -- demonstrating that you understood what you were taught and can use the tools effectively -- then its complexity and difficulty are just a bonus.

The reason the two classes are now required to be taken together (or, at least, 3D Design to be taken as a prerequisite of the Game Design course) is that the models you create in the Design class will be used as assets for specific assignments in the Game Design course (i.e., the model created for a "One-Hour Car Project" is intended to be used in the construction of a simple chase game).

The software is available at a discount to students (Cinema 4D and Unity3D). I would recommend that anyone taking the classes should consider purchasing the software, allowing you to work from home (and beyond the material covered in the classroom).

George
A former member
Post #: 5
As a visual demonstration of the level of subjectivity that exists related to assignment complexity (and direction), here is an example of one of my first semester models:

The assignment was to "design a toy and create a prototype in 3D space." I choose to explore aspects of biological form, this model being my first attempts at modeling a biological figure (I wasn't smart enough to use a reference). Some people just repackaged their robot models with simple accessories; others built things as simple as wooden rabbits on a rope (I was going to link to these examples, but have apparently lost the urls). Still, others attempted new techniques and concepts we had not yet explored. All that needed to be covered by the work created for the assignment was that the student understood the tools they had been taught to use and could use them effectively to their purpose.
A former member
Post #: 6
For further follow-up, here is a link to Bill's (the instructor) vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/bill...­

It has samples of projects from the 3D sequence and a few sample videos from the classes, including two from the Unity class.

Also, here is a sample of one of the toys made by another student. It's a vintage looking wooden rabbit on wheels. She turned that project into a neat little identity video for her motion graphics studio.

http://vimeo.com/3369...­

George
Jim
Gymfuzz
Cleveland, OH
Post #: 19
Mmmmm ... so tempting!