addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobe--smallglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1launch-new-window--smalllight-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Collaboratory Melbourne Meetup Message Board › This month's Meetup (27 March) and next steps for Collaboratory Melbourne

This month's Meetup (27 March) and next steps for Collaboratory Melbourne

David H.
davidahood
Group Organizer
Melbourne, AU
Hello Good People,

A quick message to let you we've a few big events and plans in the pipeworks for our awesome Meetup group (now almost at 500 members!!!) and an invitation to play, learn and have some fun. ;)

Apologies also for an irregular Meetup for this month. I've been pretty lucky the last two months, and in addition to running my own public workshops for the first time, I've also picked up a few new clients to help pay the bills and fund the future of Collaboratory Melbourne (w00t!). No doubt that's been helped by being awarded Melbourne Social Entrepreneur of the Year at our recent graduation from the School for Social Entrepreneurs. I also wanted to make sure that renovations for the new and improved Hub Melbourne have been completed - which I'm happy to say they are, and the place looks amazing.

March Meetup

By this time tomorrow I expect to have confirmed a brilliant panel for a Meetup Tuesday 27 March. The theme for this month is white hot: The Future of Changemaking and Causemarketing - Lessons from Kony 2012.

We'll have four special guest with us exploring the elements that have helped make Invisible Children's Kony 2012 video "the most viral video in history" and what lessons we can take from a campaign that skillfully weaves together story-telling, digital communications strategy and grass roots community engagement. The campaign has also raised several questions.

It's bound to be another great night!

What's next for Collaboratory Melbourne

Over the last two years I've been exploring ways I can serve people and organisations working toward better futures - so they can be more effective and have greater impact. Based on feedback and gaps I've identified during that time, I've focused around hosting events for much needed conversations and idea exchanges; offering facilitated sessions for collaborative project development, and building capability in the strategic use of social media to grow communities, amplify communications and scale impact.

This started with Doing Something Good (enabling clients), evolved and expanded into Collaboratory Melbourne (enabling communities) and from that emerged Gathering '11 (enabling leaders, linchpins and entrepreneurs). 2011 was the year of prototyping, 2012 is the year for laying down foundations.

By the middle of this year, our aim is to establish Collaboratory Melbourne as a community owned social enterprise - an innovative cooperative model that can be replicated and scaled. Its mission: to act as a platform for the development of a collaborative community of practice, and attract people and resources from across sectors to cocreate solutions to our most pressing social and environmental issues. Essentially, ­enriching the ecosystem.

Planning day Saturday 24 March

I'm excited to say that we're almost at the point where we can apply for funding for both Meetups and Skillshares - and take that next big step toward a sustainable social enterprise. For those of you interested in joining an innovative and passionate team to host events, deliver communications and support the development of a community of inspiring future builders, we'll be running an all-day team planning session next Saturday 24 March at Hub Melbourne. I'll post the details for this over the weekend.

Over the next two weeks I'll be updating you on plans for the rest of the year, which includes more social events, workshops to help you develop your own ideas or projects and a string of great Meetups with some excellent topics in store.

I hope you're all having a great week, and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Onward and upward,

David :)